Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread | Page 52 | Inside Universal Forums

Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This worries me, because if it's anything like having a "valid medical reason" for obtaining a guest assistance pass, there will be rampant abuse that actively endangers people before long.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: if you have a medical condition that prevents you from wearing a mask, you should not be at a theme park right now.
Disney is strictly enforcing masks with no exceptions, so I wonder if they'll reverse course should it become more widespread at Uni.

This worries me, because if it's anything like having a "valid medical reason" for obtaining a guest assistance pass, there will be rampant abuse that actively endangers people before long.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: if you have a medical condition that prevents you from wearing a mask, you should not be at a theme park right now.

In situations where this happens, TMs are required to then wear face shields when interacting witht he guests.

That's great for the TMs, but it doesn't protect the other guests...
It’s also not feasible even for TMs. What happens when a wristband family pops up on you out of nowhere? They’re already breathing in your face, so it’s too late for a face shield. The only TMs that would really have the time to throw a face shield on would be guest service TMs as they can see who’s coming and be prepared.

It’s also not feasible even for TMs. What happens when a wristband family pops up on you out of nowhere? They’re already breathing in your face, so it’s too late for a face shield. The only TMs that would really have the time to throw a face shield on would be guest service TMs as they can see who’s coming and be prepared.

Really think there's a whole family who will get exceptions?

It doesn't matter. If "Bobby" is a guest with a special exception to the mask rule, he poses a risk to any guest or TM he comes near. He also poses an obvious risk to his party members, who in turn pose an enhanced risk, as well, albeit reduced if they're wearing masks.

This is a bad policy and it needs to be rethought.

All it takes is one person so it really doesn’t matter.

It doesn't matter. If "Bobby" is a guest with a special exception to the mask rule, he poses a risk to any guest or TM he comes near. He also poses an obvious risk to his party members, who in turn pose an enhanced risk, as well, albeit reduced if they're wearing masks.

This is a bad policy and it needs to be rethought.
It’s also bad from the simple standpoint of “Bobby” having a medical reason not to wear one. Think about it this way: If “Bobby” can’t wear one for medical reason at a theme park, then he certainly hasn’t been wearing one out in public or anywhere he may have gone at home. That makes Bobby a (potential) super-spreader.

This type of person is the type of person that should be staying home as much as possible not going to theme parks.

So i just realized something about the reservation system that may mean it is in place for another reason then to restrict capacity.So if some one decides to take a vacation to Florida and the average vacation is between 3-5 days.
Disney just made it so you will be basically locked into only going to Disney parks for most of if not your entire vacation.if you want to do all four parks.

Reactions: Mad Dog
^
Pretty sure the exception is there to cover them against ADA lawsuits. Don't think they can be open unless they allow an exception for medical reasons.

I'm sure it is, but at the same time, these are extraordinary circumstances in which public health takes special precedence. They have to know this will be abused if/when word gets out, just like GAP, but the stakes are much higher. I hope their legal teams are already working on it.

I wonder if persons with severe asthma would have difficulty wearing a mask... on the other hand, they shouldn’t be there at all with such a condition.

The best and most outrageous one will have to be, “I’m on portable oxygen supplementation and cannot wear a mask”.

I'm sure it is, but at the same time, these are extraordinary circumstances in which public health takes special precedence. They have to know this will be abused if/when word gets out, just like GAP, but the stakes are much higher. I hope their legal teams are already working on it.
I always recall the disability scam I saw when walking the path from Cabana to Universal. A half dozen very physically fit male youths. were running and pushing an empty wheelchair on the path. They passed us by and left us in their dust as they were moving so fast. When we got to IOA we saw them over the guest services area. One youth was now in the wheelchair. As we journeyed through the park that day, the group of six was continually getting fast tracked for ride lines....That said, it's probably unwise for Universal to refuse any handicapped requests because I'm pretty sure they'd lose in the courts regardless of the pandemic. PLUS, the CDC guideline on masks is only a recommendation, not an order. I'm sure a good attorney would use that as a major basis of their argument, in conjunction with the handicapped access laws. and Local, County or State guidelines cannot supercede federal law concerning handicapped access.

Last edited:
Well you don't want to set a precedent that it is okay to discriminate against a group of people because of "extraordinary circumstances". You will then get in the messy area of what are extraordinary circumstances, who gets to decide what are those circumstances, and much more areas that can be abused. I personally have an issue with the idea of saying hey you have "this (insert whatever classification you want)" so you can't do what everyone else is allowed to do. It just seems like a giant step backward for us as a whole. Maybe the best way to put it is do you want a system where some individuals will abuse for self gain or a system where someone or a group of people can abuse power to hurt others or for personal gain.

Well you don't want to set a precedent that it is okay to discriminate against a group of people because of "extraordinary circumstances". You will then get in the messy area of what are extraordinary circumstances, who gets to decide what are those circumstances, and much more areas that can be abused. I personally have an issue with the idea of saying hey you have "this (insert whatever classification you want)" so you can't do what everyone else is allowed to do. It just seems like a giant step backward for us as a whole. Maybe the best way to put it is do you want a system where some individuals will abuse for self gain or a system where someone or a group of people can abuse power to hurt others or for personal gain.

In this instance, I am comfortable objecting to a system where individuals will abuse for self gain, because their abuse (or even their non-abuse) endangers every other person in the park. There needs to be a zero tolerance policy for masks. I'm sorry, I understand your sentiment and would otherwise 100% agree with it, but this is a matter of public health. If you have a condition that does not allow you to wear a mask, you are not in a medical state to be at a theme park. And yes, call that discriminatory (on some level it is), but it isn't just personal risk, it's creating unnecessary, avoidable risk for others.

In this instance, I am comfortable objecting to a system where individuals will abuse for self gain, because their abuse (or even their non-abuse) endangers every other person in the park. There needs to be a zero tolerance policy for masks. I'm sorry, I understand your sentiment and would otherwise 100% agree with it, but this is a matter of public health. If you have a condition that does not allow you to wear a mask, you are not in a medical state to be at a theme park. And yes, call that discriminatory (on some level it is), but it isn't just personal risk, it's creating unnecessary, avoidable risk for others.
Yup. I don't want to sound disrespectful to anyone, but if you literally can't wear a mask then you at the very least shouldn't be hanging out at a theme park. Would an airline even allow you these days to get on without one? People abuse the Disability Assistance System all the time and once people figured this out, I think a lot of people are all of a sudden going to become allergic to fabric or something like that. There's a danger in that because if abuse of the system were to happen, then all of a sudden you just have a bunch of people walking around with no masks and it's just something that puts everyone in the park at a higher risk.

I get it's a sensitive subject and I normally wouldn't take this position, but this is not normal times.

So i just realized something about the reservation system that may mean it is in place for another reason then to restrict capacity.So if some one decides to take a vacation to Florida and the average vacation is between 3-5 days.
Disney just made it so you will be basically locked into only going to Disney parks for most of if not your entire vacation.if you want to do all four parks.

The no park hopping policy is only temporary, but a reservation system for the future is not out of the question.

The loophole out of people using ADA as a crutch to avoid wearing a mask is the safety of TMs and other guests. It’s no different than if someone showed up at the entrance in a golf cart and said it was their motorized wheelchair.

I’m not going to send an email to Universal until I see it or see pictures online, but that email would be “not coming back until the wristbanding ends.”

Reactions: Nick and Clive
Status
Not open for further replies.