Toy Story Land - General Discussion | Page 46 | Inside Universal Forums

Toy Story Land - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Sorry for the late reply here. That's not the best information, because top speed would occur after the hill, not a launch. And highly unlikely it'll be 40mph- I would expect the launches to be around 25-30mph to get up the hill w/o a chain lift and it might hit 30-35mph after the hill. The banks and length of track wouldn't support 40mph without requiring mummy-like braking. 43mph on Manta is the slowest Mack launch coaster out there- all their others are 62mph or faster.

This will be much more like firechaser express at Dollywood- less the backwards part. which is a 16 and 20mph launch with top speeds of 35mph. But those slow launches are because it has a chain lift which Slinky won't. However; Even going backwards at the end, it's only a 39" height requirement vs the 48" requirement on manta- which is exactly what they need a Slinky

That makes sense. Any faster and those helixes and overbanked turns would be more thrilling than what they are looking for. I am a terrible judge on height but the hills on the coaster appear to be around 40 to 50 feet high. So, the launch speeds you quoted should do the trick. The Backlot Stunt Coaster at Kings Island has a 45 foot drop from the helixes and its max speed is 45 mph. Due to the winding track, they need a little extra oomph to reach the top.

Reactions: Andysol
There's so much that is thematically off about a concept like Toy Story Land. However, my main gripe is that the supposed scale is way out of whack.

The main "story" is that we are shrunk down to toy size, Andy built some stuff, etc, etc. But that doesn't explain why the theme pieces along the coaster track and in the land (i.e., other toys) are so large. If we're being shrunk down to true Toy-size, then why...

- Why is the foliage, themed as grass, going to be so large? Did someone forget to cut the lawn?
- Why are are the other Toys in the land so large?
- Why do we walk straight out from Andy's bedroom into this weird backyard? Do he have a door from the second floor of his room that we don't know about?

Toy Story as a theme park land has just never made much sense to me.

I can't believe they're just going to leave those supports exposed and unthemed like that!!! Really takes you out of the immersive environment they're trying to create. Disney would never do that. This is supposed to be a back yard theme. They should wrap them in bamboo so they won't be so noticeable..... lol. :tongue:

What is Barnstormer? Or am I the only one who liked to walk to Space Mountain via the path back by the train station?

There's so much that is thematically off about a concept like Toy Story Land. However, my main gripe is that the supposed scale is way out of whack.

The main "story" is that we are shrunk down to toy size, Andy built some stuff, etc, etc. But that doesn't explain why the theme pieces along the coaster track and in the land (i.e., other toys) are so large. If we're being shrunk down to true Toy-size, then why...

- Why is the foliage, themed as grass, going to be so large? Did someone forget to cut the lawn?
- Why are are the other Toys in the land so large?
- Why do we walk straight out from Andy's bedroom into this weird backyard? Do he have a door from the second floor of his room that we don't know about?

Toy Story as a theme park land has just never made much sense to me.
We are being shrunk down to the size of the Green Army Men.

No, seriously. Stop laughing. That is the real answer.:ack:

Reactions: Nick
As underwhelming as this land may be, I'm still slightly excited for it. Mater's Junkyard Jamboree was an enjoyable flat ride when I rode it so a semi-clone of that is welcome, and Slinky will be a nice and diverse addition to the park. I just feel like this land should have added at least one more flat ride, and I'd welcome it with much more open arms.

Thats my problem with all of these new "lands" in parks nowadays... They basically end up with only 2 rides, place to eat, & a giftshop. Look at the way lands were created in Magic Kingdom/Disneyland.... you had multiple rides/attractions, places to eat, & a giftshop or two. Even IOA was created with multiple rides per land (with the exception of Toon & JP... yay budget cuts)..

I'm sure this will probably be a fun new addition & TSM is basically part of the new land... but it definitely could've used another small ride of some kind. Or instead of just basing it off of Toy Story, use OTHER Pixar films to base rides or dining options from.

Although... this new land feels out of place. -shrugs-

Thats my problem with all of these new "lands" in parks nowadays... They basically end up with only 2 rides, place to eat, & a giftshop. Look at the way lands were created in Magic Kingdom/Disneyland.... you had multiple rides/attractions, places to eat, & a giftshop or two. Even IOA was created with multiple rides per land (with the exception of Toon & JP... yay budget cuts)..

I'm sure this will probably be a fun new addition & TSM is basically part of the new land... but it definitely could've used another small ride of some kind. Or instead of just basing it off of Toy Story, use OTHER Pixar films to base rides or dining options from.

What was cut from toon lagoon and JP?

Toon would've had a Rocky & Bullwinkle coaster... a lot of the design choices for Dudley Do-Right was so that the coaster could go over, under & through the ride. Can't remember if anything else was planned.

JP had a soarin-esque ride concept sort've in the area that FJ & its overflow queue now sits called "HellicopTOURS". Then there were many other ride concepts that they tossed around.. one being a Jeep Tour type ride (where Kong 360 sits now). Raptor Racers wooden coaster. Might've even been a flying coaster concept similar to what Japan just built.

There were rumblings of new ride concepts for JP due to the success of JW, but that obviously has yet to be seen. Hell, even FJ itself was once going to be a Van Helsing themed ride for Lost Continent.

:topic: I'm curious to see how Toy Story Land turns out. I do feel like it won't be as "themed" as it could/should be.

I can't think of a single land that has been added to a park after it opened that has had more than 2 attractions.

^Exactly... everything is all about 2 rides/attractions, a dining option, & retail... If we're lucky, it also includes entertainment of some kind... At least Toy Story Land will also have TSM, but it could use another small ride. If they had made it a "Pixar Land", then they could've just built the Monsters Inc Door Coaster next to TSM instead of adding an unnecessary 3rd track.

I enjoy WWOHP here in Hollywood... because it does have a decent offering, but at the same time, part of me wishes they could've used magic to squeeze in one more ride/attraction (despite the incredible lack of space haha)

^Exactly... everything is all about 2 rides/attractions, a dining option, & retail... If we're lucky, it also includes entertainment of some kind... At least Toy Story Land will also have TSM, but it could use another small ride. If they had made it a "Pixar Land", then they could've just built the Monsters Inc Door Coaster next to TSM instead of adding an unnecessary 3rd track.

I enjoy WWOHP here in Hollywood... because it does have a decent offering, but at the same time, part of me wishes they could've used magic to squeeze in one more ride/attraction (despite the incredible lack of space haha)

I'd say it's a lack in confidence. Even though Disney and Universal can throw hundreds of millions at a land, they're still not going to gamble building more than they have to until the land is a proven hit and then they can expand on the land after.

SNW is rumored to have 3 attractions.

That shows Universal is either arrogant or desperate. I'm not sure which though. I shall consult the internets and get back to you.
I'd say 2.5 attractions. I don't think Yoshi is going to blow anyone's mind. But on the other hand, DK might. ;)

I'm curious to see how Toy Story Land turns out. I do feel like it won't be as "themed" as it could/should be.
I'm actually not mad at the lack of theming... cutting the rockwork from this project got it open about 1.5-2 years earlier than it would've been other-wise and saved close to $400M. The original budget for the land was an insane $500M... with some simple cuts, rumors are the budget is now at around $80-$100M.

Reactions: Joel
The original concept had the "shovel dug" trenches right?... That was an interesting concept. I still can't believe this small expansion was going to be $500M... thats just ridiculous.

The entry area looked much better in the original plans, with a Woody's Roundup area and shops.

All this be gone now:

tsl_gone_als-toy-barn.jpg

tsl_gone_woodyswesterntown.jpg

It would've balanced out the spacey Buzz Lightyear stuff on the left side of the land quite nicely, but oh well.

The entry area looked much better in the original plans, with a Woody's Roundup area and shops.

All this be gone now:

tsl_gone_als-toy-barn.jpg

tsl_gone_woodyswesterntown.jpg

It would've balanced out the spacey Buzz Lightyear stuff on the left side of the land quite nicely, but oh well.
Honestly i'm pretty fine with losing that. Maybe it's just because i'm pretty certain we got Mickey because of the cost savings they made by cutting stuff out of TSL, but I also hate how much real estate this land is taking up.

This land will be the Toontown, Storybook Circus or Dinorama of DHS.