Universal's Cinematic Celebration Night Show | Page 110 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Cinematic Celebration Night Show

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Show looks very good, much better than CineSpec. I can’t wait to see a final version of the show with all the elements in it.

In comparison to World of Color, the only comparable show IMHO, it’s slightly weaker as it doesn’t have the iconic World of Color theme. Hoping they add the pyro and lasers to bring it closer to par.

I wonder if Disney is kicking themselves for not building WoC out east... Universal basically made a version of it, and it's pretty good!

Reactions: Ryno27
I don’t have Facebook. >:O

Link

Would this help?

I actually really enjoyed the HP segment... and Kung Fu Panda tbh. Could definitely see some great uses of pyro for those sections once we get a show with pyro.

I loved that they used Panda 2, as that is my favorite of the films, and especially with how they portrayed that sequence from the film for park format.

Potter...felt weak. But I imagine that opinion will change. I also think Illumination actually did do new animation, specifically for Gru.

I don’t have Facebook. >:O

Lots of blogger types were there, it’ll be up on YouTube soon. IU on Twitter has it archived on Periscope.

I wonder if Disney is kicking themselves for not building WoC out east... Universal basically made a version of it, and it's pretty good!

I think Disney just sat on their ass too long and didn’t want to spend the money. Now they’ve moved on.

From what was shown so far, I do feel the show is a step up from previous attempts. (Granted, not saying much, but still.) An' I do feel things will improve even more when the pyro is added, since you could tell there were multiple moments which should utilize it. (Such as the KFP scene, since that segment is just begging for it.)

I will say that the projection mapping on the buildings seems a little under-utilized so far, but we'll have to wait and see how it fully turns out. Right now the Transformers scene is the best with that with some pretty nice touches.

Overall, I have a good feeling the final product is gonna' be a real nice show. It's got a nice base, it just needs the technical tweaks and pyro/lasers to wrap things up nicely. Also, great job on Uni by explicitly stating this is a technical rehearsal.

Wanted to put these here in case. Liked it a lot, but couldn’t see the building projections so should be way better in person. Kind of sad no classic movies outside of ET. Really was expecting BTTF.

Just to add on, I love how Transformers was a use of not only film, but portions of the ride, and it made me feel not only nostalgic for the reveal of TF back in 2012, but that the background projections were what sold me.

It's exactly what I wanted to see, and while I hope they add a lighting element from the Optimus statue for the show, this scene was just bloody brilliant in every way possible.

Reactions: richjagr and Ryno27
I thought it was pretty good, and I can't wait to see the extra punch some pyro will bring to the show. However, I was surprised at the Jurassic World section. I thought it would be one of the best parts of the show, but honestly, it was kind of the weakest part. The chosen clips and editing didn't flow as smoothly as the other parts of the show, and didn't really take advantage of the environment. Of all the parts of the show, it felt the most like a basic clip show.

Last edited:
Wanted to put these here in case. Liked it a lot, but couldn’t see the building projections so should be way better in person. Kind of sad no classic movies outside of ET. Really was expecting BTTF.

Considering the music of BTTF is more iconic than *looks at notes* the music of Fast & Furious, I would have done a car/racing montage with F&F/BTTF/another movie with cars or something. Would have worked better.

*puts arms firmly on armchair*

Considering the music of BTTF is more iconic than *looks at notes* the music of Fast & Furious, I would have done a car/racing montage with F&F/BTTF/another movie with cars or something. Would have worked better.

*puts arms firmly on armchair*
I've never seen a Fast and Furious movie, nor do I have any interest in doing so (they look really dumb judging by their trailers), but I think the Fast and Furious segment of the show worked really well. It had great kinetic energy to it, and one doesn't need to like or care about the F&F films to appreciate the way they had the cars zooming across the fountains. It was just very well executed. I think it was a good decision for them to focus on the car chases rather than the characters for that franchise.

Just saw it. I thought it was absolutely fantastic.

As I’ve said for a while, you have to keep in mind that UOR sees 1/5 the attendance of WDW, so because of that, it won’t be on that scale until the new property opens. So for what Universal can logically invest in a show, I think they knocked it out of the Park.

I agree with everyone else-
1) Pyro will make a big difference
2) background projections either didn’t translate well on video or they were underutilized. Transformers had the best use of them by far as they had a “chunk blown out” of a building. Cool effect. I wish we saw more of that stuff.
3) I agree with @AlexanderMBush that HP seemed weak. It should’ve given me all the feels but it didn’t. I think pyro will be used in that quite a bit and make a huge difference.
4) the finale ending with illumination stuff was kind of meh- but the custom animation with Minions were great. Again, wish we saw more of that. The minions getting the water in the butts was funny.

Just saw it. I thought it was absolutely fantastic.

As I’ve said for a while, you have to keep in mind that UOR sees 1/5 the attendance of WDW, so because of that, it won’t be on that scale until the new property opens. So for what Universal can logically invest in a show, I think they knocked it out of the Park.

I agree with everyone else-
1) Pyro will make a big difference
2) background projections either didn’t translate well on video or they were underutilized. Transformers had the best use of them by far as they had a “chunk blown out” of a building. Cool effect. I wish we saw more of that stuff.
3) I agree with @AlexanderMBush that HP seemed weak. It should’ve given me all the feels but it didn’t. I think pyro will be used in that quite a bit and make a huge difference.
4) the finale ending with illumination stuff was kind of meh- but the custom animation with Minion was great. Again, wish we saw more of that. The minions getting the water in the butts was funny.

I hope the pyro really helps differentiate the finale from World of Color. It had a very similar feel with the quick montage.

Missed the Mayhem live stream but I just caught it on Orlando Informer Facebook group. Looks pretty good from what I can see. I'd like to be there to see how the background projections on the buildings adds to the show, since you can't determine it much from the OI feed. Looking at the three or four dozen responses on OI Facebook, just about unanimous approval, likes and comments. Pacing should be better once the pyro gets added and any little kinks worked out. All in all, it looks like a winner to me. It's a significant & long enough show that it should keep people in the park until closing. Just hope they show this on most evenings, like they did during Cinemagic's first couple of years, and not just peak attendance nights....Update: They had Midway Mayhem on OI Facebook just now, so I watched that too. The building projections showed up better on his taping. Bet it looks really impressive in person.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryno27
Did anyone else think it felt surprisingly wrong to to see only Jurassic World clips but set to the original Jurassic Park's soundtrack? The grandeur and majesty of the music kept mentally priming me for Jurassic Park (since that music barely ever plays in the JW movies), but even just the brief clips of the Jurassic World movies felt like they couldn't conjure the sense of wonder and majesty conjured by the original Jurassic Park , and by extension, couldn't live up to that soundtrack, giving me constant cognitive dissonance. Idk, maybe I'm just being heavily biased by my disdain for the Jurassic World films.

Edit: I realize this sounds pretty negative, so let me just reiterate that I still really like the show overall. That particular segment just felt kinda meh.

Last edited:
This show is a major win. I actually got goosebumps and a little emotional right before how to train your dragon. Seeing it in person, it's very large scale even without the pyro.

The decision to show moments built around the music and colors of the films as opposed to just playing scenes was a genius move and thankfully keeps this show feeling fast paced and even beautiful at times.

I though the buildings were tastefully used. I can say, those are not easy buildings to project on with red brick and lots of detail in the facades. They didn't take over the show or distract from the main content, which is what you want.

I am incredibly pleased and impressed. As a creator of shows myself, I tip my hat to all the hard work they have put into this.

I stopped watching after Jurassic World to save some surprises. The opening looks strong, but at least for the section I watched, something felt missing. Hopefully the pyro adds a bit.

It's a clip show. Why not make one with an overarching theme, like friendship/love/perseverance, etc. Add some soul into it. I enjoyed the last three minutes of it.