Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation | Page 353 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No.

The size of EU is being exaggerated a bit. It's about the same size as IOA, just without a giant lagoon taking up space in the center.

Epic Universe fully built out comes out at about 115 Acres *excluding* parking lot, retention ponds, entrance plaza, and in Park hotel and most importantly BOH. IOA is 101.6Acres.....absolutely everything BOH and water retension ponds etc. so if you took all those things away from IOA that it needs to function and exist to make a true parity comparision you would have a much signifcantly smaller park compared to EU. The image below shows the measured area of IOA, further in the thread is the anlysis of the lands. i dont have the time to see how much ride space they measure up at, which would be a fairer comparision

Epic Universe fully built out comes out at about 115 Acres *excluding* parking lot, retention ponds, entrance plaza, and in Park hotel and most importantly BOH. IOA is 101.6Acres.....absolutely everything BOH and water retension ponds etc. so if you took all those things away from IOA that it needs to function and exist to make a true parity comparision you would have a much signifcantly smaller park compared to EU. The image below shows the measured area of IOA, further in the thread is the anlysis of the lands. i dont have the time to see how much ride space they measure up at, which would be a fairer comparision

If you put a fence around IOA & EU it is about the same size, that's what I was referring to. EU is a better use of space since it uses (roughly) the same amount of acreage but replaces the lagoon with physical park space. I was simply responding to the comment that the hub itself was larger than IOA.

I am fully aware of EU's size lol

In my opinion the best comparison is that opening day EU will be about the same area as current day IOA, but EU will also have an additional 30 acres available for expansion.

IOA's lagoon is around 7 acres, but the inaccessable parts of EU's "snowman" are likely to be at least 4 acres and HTTYD will have water too, so it's not that big of a difference.

The size of IOA's lagoon is often overestimated because of how the main path winds a very large circle around it despite most of the encircled area actually being land rather than water.

Last edited:
In my opinion the best comparison is that opening day EU will be about the same area as current day IOA, but EU will also have an additional 30 acres available for expansion.

IOA's lagoon is around 7 acres, but the inaccessable parts of EU's "snowman" are likely to be at least 4 acres and HTTYD will have water too, so it's not that big of a difference.

The size of IOA's lagoon is often overestimated because of how the main path winds a very large circle around it despite most of the encircled area actually being land rather than water.
Turns out I already had each built land calculated for IOA

Toon lagoon 7.75acres
Marvel 8.5acres
Suess 7acres
JP 15acres
Potter 11.75acres
Lost 7.5 acres
(Port of entry 3)
Kong 2.5acres
Bilge rats area 3.5acres
= 63.5acres total

IOA is a fully built out park with no room for expansion, so would you use opening day as a metric? considering there's no real idea what's opening on day one.

Epic fully built out, same state as IOA is now ,has 93 acres for ride/lands.

(map is not adjusted for added mini land 1.5acres, potter being around 18acres, and northeastern plot being 20acres)

20220118_110108.jpg

Does this answer your question @Joe ??

Toon lagoon 7.75acres
Marvel 8.5acres
Suess 7acres
JP 15acres
Potter 11.75acres
Lost 7.5 acres
(Port of entry 3)
Kong 2.5acres
Bilge rats area 3.5acres
= 63.5acres total

IOA is a fully built out park with no room for expansion, so would you use opening day as a metric? considering there's no real idea what's opening on day one.

(map is not adjusted for added mini land 1.5acres, potter being around 18acres, and northeastern plot being 20acres)

View attachment 15785

With the potter pad being right next to the treatment plant it would be perfect for a Myrtle ride though Hogwarts plumbing....

I don't fully understand your question here but I was using "opening day EU" to mean all of the stuff we are expecting to get built in phase 1, not literally the stuff ready for opening on day 1. So I really meant more like "opening year EU".

Toon lagoon 7.75acres
Marvel 8.5acres
Suess 7acres
JP 15acres
Potter 11.75acres
Lost 7.5 acres
(Port of entry 3)
Kong 2.5acres
Bilge rats area 3.5acres
= 63.5acres total

View attachment 15785

I forgot how much of the hub coaster loops around behind HTTYD. There's been plenty of speculation that the size of the berm for HTTYD is to hide the smell if there is any

Reactions: JoeCamel
On the latest episode of her podcast, @Alicia reports that Universal has yet to pay the permits for the show in the Classic Monsters land (where they have paid permits for the rest of the structures). So, reading between the lines, there's either some indecision currently regarding that structure, or the attraction may have been cut. I hope it's the former and not that latter (it would be the only land with one attraction if the show is cut and not replaced with something else).

Also, sounds like the Ministry of Magic ride is going to be themed to the Ministry's elevators, and she suspects Universal is again going to use the SCOOP vehicle from Spider-Man. With lots and lots of projected media.

On the latest episode of her podcast, @Alicia reports that Universal has yet to pay the permits for the show in the Classic Monsters land (where they have paid permits for the rest of the structures). So, reading between the lines, there's either some indecision currently regarding that structure, or the attraction may have been cut. I hope it's the former and not that latter (it would be the only land with one attraction if the show is cut and not replaced with something else).

Also, sounds like the Ministry of Magic ride is going to be themed to the Ministry's elevators, and she suspects Universal is again going to use the SCOOP vehicle from Spider-Man. With lots and lots of projected media.

I believe they paid for Monsters, just not the show, but have yet to pay for HTTYD. I may have misheard.

Honestly with the Scoop vehicle I trust them after Beijing. Just not needing a ton more Potter but it’ll be good I bet.

Just checked and it still looks like the permit fees for the building we believe is for the theater attraction in Universal Monsters is still not paid.

Permit:
B20900597

Project:
P902

Building:
B1530F

All of the other permits associated with P902 appear to be paid up. I don't claim to know why this is. It could very well just need some more approvals it's waiting on for all we know.

In other news, and perhaps more interestingly, the permit for what I thought was originally going to be the VR attraction for Wizarding World at Epic Universe IS PAID. The attraction we heard was moving to Studios. So, yea. Who knows.

Reactions: Suchomimus
I don't fully understand your question here but I was using "opening day EU" to mean all of the stuff we are expecting to get built in phase 1, not literally the stuff ready for opening on day 1. So I really meant more like "opening year EU".
If it's not there on opening day, then it's not in Phase 1 is it. Phase 2 could be a year plus into it . We could end up with stuff being cut for opening day (vr ride) or we end up with lands added. Who knows.So in that more optimistic scenario it opens as about the same Amount of land used by a fully built out IOA but then has so much more room for growth

Honestly with the Scoop vehicle I trust them after Beijing. Just not needing a ton more Potter but it’ll be good I bet.

I have to confess being disappointed when I listened to the discussion in the episode, but that's on me, not because of the reporting. I think I was just getting my hopes up; given the size of the showbuilding, which I believe is set to be the largest in the park, I really wanted to see what Universal could do with a new dark ride concept (and in fairness, it sounds like it's going to incorporate more vertical movement). But I'm not all that enthused by "SCOOP + screens" at this point, and especially in this park, where one of the other major dark rides -- Monsters -- is going to implement an already-existing ride system from the current parks, as well.

In other news, and perhaps more interestingly, the permit for what I thought was originally going to be the VR attraction for Wizarding World at Epic Universe IS PAID. The attraction we heard was moving to Studios. So, yea. Who knows.

I almost mentioned this in my little write-up as being something intriguing. Your speculation that they might have just "had" to pay it seems plausible... but then again, they haven't paid the one for the Monsters theater yet.

Curious!

So, reading between the lines, there's either some indecision currently regarding that structure, or the attraction may have been cut. I hope it's the former and not that latter (it would be the only land with one attraction if the show is cut and not replaced with something else).

I would think due to COVID, there are still in the staging process for the show and want to make sure they get all the technical details for the theatre specifically stage and backstage ops correct as I'm 99% certain this theatre will be only for the monsters and nothing else which will allow them to do more intricate level shows.

Reactions: belloq87
I have to confess being disappointed when I listened to the discussion in the episode, but that's on me, not because of the reporting. I think I was just getting my hopes up; given the size of the showbuilding, which I believe is set to be the largest in the park, I really wanted to see what Universal could do with a new dark ride concept (and in fairness, it sounds like it's going to incorporate more vertical movement). But I'm not all that enthused by "SCOOP + screens" at this point, and especially in this park, where one of the other major dark rides -- Monsters -- is going to implement an already-existing ride system from the current parks, as well.

I almost mentioned this in my little write-up as being something intriguing. Your speculation that they might have just "had" to pay it seems plausible... but then again, they haven't paid the one for the Monsters theater yet.

Curious!
Did you see a POV of JWA in Beijing? That IP leads to a better “physical” set experience but I don’t see why this can’t include some of the same. Don’t disagree Potter doesn’t sound “incredible”, per say, off the bat. That being said, they’ve never missed on Potter imo so I have faith here.

I want that Monsters show though.

Did you see a POV of JWA in Beijing? That IP leads to a better “physical” set experience but I don’t see why this can’t include some of the same. Don’t disagree Potter doesn’t sound “incredible”, per say, off the bat. That being said, they’ve never missed on Potter imo so I have faith here.

I want that Monsters show though.

I've seen the ride video of JW, yeah. If the "physical stuff" to "projected stuff" ratio is similar, I'll be fine with it.

And yes, I really want the Monsters show, too. Primarily because I have really no idea what it could be.

I've seen the ride video of JW, yeah. If the "physical stuff" to "projected stuff" ratio is similar, I'll be fine with it.

And yes, I really want the Monsters show, too. Primarily because I have really no idea what it could be.
My hope is it’s similar, at least. Potter and wands naturally lead to more screen/projection mapping though, which I’m fine with if utilized well.

I think a big reason the main ride for Epic's Wizarding World is so big, is because half the structure is just for the gigantic hallway and atrium reveal for the British Ministry of Magic. Like MASSIVE entry and queue areas.
Seems like they’re making it accurate to size as it was in the films, I’m here for it!

Reactions: belloq87
Status
Not open for further replies.