Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion | Page 84 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't say cheap and tacky. I don't look at Aquatica and think cheap, but I think the theming at Disneys 2 water parks is evidently a few notches above.

I now expect this to be a grade above Aquatica, but ultimately still one below Typhoon and Blizzard. How the Volcano is utilised will be key.
Yeah to me if your going for a theme then a water slide shouldn't look like a water slide just like a roller coaster shouldn't look like a roller coaster. This definitely just looks like a tall cluster of blue and green slides, I'm not sure I see any room for any theme at all there.

That's sorta like overselling if you're claiming this is a new type of park; it's not even the most lavishly designed in Orlando, much less the world.

They may have a ton of small thematic touches that pushes this to the next level but from what I can see so far I would tend to agree, and that's quite disappointing. If it is the case I really wonder what they were playing at with the water themepark tag.

Reactions: s8film40
They may have a ton of small thematic touches that pushes this to the next level but from what I can see so far I would tend to agree, and that's quite disappointing. If it is the case I really wonder what they were playing at with the water themepark tag.
Looking at the concept artwork it looks like the slide structure is only missing a small roof and then that's it as far as theming goes.
jx2owidl.jpg

So should we basically expect Aquatica, but with an impressive centrepiece? Because I'm fine with that, but I'd like to know where to place my expectations.

So should we basically expect Aquatica, but with an impressive centrepiece? Because I'm fine with that, but I'd like to know where to place my expectations.

Theoretically it should be much more than Aquatica. They researched and compared water parks in the US and probably around the world. I have seen their data points and they are very in depth. Universal was shooting for more capacity, more signature attractions that outdo the competition. I am also hoping for JP style landscaping in that you won't be able to see some of the major attractions in the distance; they will be hidden in a jungle.

I'm kind of thinking it's going to fall somewhere between Aquatica and Typhoon Lagoon/Blizzard Beach. I hope I'm wrong.

I also agree. When I envisioned a "water theme park" I did not think there would be visible brightly colored slides.

Universal does horticulture better than anyone so I'm guessing their M.O. is to go crazy with the landscaping and hope that offsets the tacky (IMHO) neon slides.

Rarely do you see an actual water park piece themed itself. The tower , location, and elements involving the ride and or area may be themed . At least that is how I grasped the concept of water theme park but ehhhhh. Vague details leaves us at an impasse I suppose

I don't mind different colored slides, but I do not like plainish looking slide towers. Aquatica's are lightly themed and covered, but nothing in comparison to the Disney waterparks. If they're going to have one giant volcano with multiple slides on it, why can't we have a few 'hills and rock cliffs' with slides coming off of them too?

I'm still very interested to see the plan for the uphill water coaster...

Reactions: martymcflyy85
Proslide currently sells 4 kinds of mat racer slides and discontinued one. The discontinued one is the ProSlalom, seen at Blizzard Beach and Dolly's Splash Country in TN.

The most common mat racer is the ProRacer, fully open and composed of 2 or 3 dips in a straight path. 2 to 10 lanes can be featured, but I doubt Universal bought one seeing that Blizzard Beach has one since opening day.

In 2004, Proslide removed a dip of the ProRacer and instead integrated an enclosed 360 or more degrees helix. This is the OctopusRacer and Adventure Island in Tampa has had one for years.

In 2011, they ressurected an old slide by braiding enclosed tubes together. This was the KrakenRacer and that is what Wet n Wild received as the Aqua Drag Racer.

What I wish Universal purchased... the OctoKraken Racer. No, its not on the website, but its an idea shown at IAAPA every year where they combined all 3 types of Racer in one Hybrid slide.

I am not on the computer, but will upload pictures later.

The current reference in the waterpark world is Siam Park in Tenerife. It has received awards and is now nominated for the prestigious Liseberg Applause Award that will be given at IAAPA in November.

Its quite funny to read peoples disappointment at the level of themeing already :lol:. If we take a look at the following photos and tie that in with the opening date, I am not sure how people come to a conclusion about a lack of themeing..... I mean look what stage the entire site is at!!! I admit I am not a fan of seeing the supports for slide and the entire slide pieces themselves but lets be realistic this is a completely flat site, not built into a hill and I think they will do a good enough job with the themeing and landscaping in general to hopefully take any attention off the supports etc. Anyway I guess we are all entitled to an opinion and its nice to discuss but I don't see the need to jump to conclusions this early into construction.

Latest Photos from Park Pass, use the link in the tweet and visit their website for all the photos:

I'm kind of thinking it's going to fall somewhere between Aquatica and Typhoon Lagoon/Blizzard Beach. I hope I'm wrong.

Slide-wise this is going to be hilariously better than all of them. All three of those parks are woefully behind technology wise.

I'm also not sure why we're freaking out about exposed slides, as all the parks in Orlando have them.

Slide-wise this is going to be hilariously better than all of them. All three of those parks are woefully behind technology wise.

I'm also not sure why we're freaking out about exposed slides, as all the parks in Orlando have them.
I was only looking at it from a theming perspective. I'm not really much a water park person, but from the photos I've seen of Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon I don't recall seeing too many exposed slides. I know the coaster style one at Typhoon Lagoon is exposed somewhat but I seem to recall they themed that as some sort of packing facility or something explaining the track/tubes.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I was only looking at it from a theming perspective. I'm not really much a water park person, but from the photos I've seen of Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon I don't recall seeing too many exposed slides. I know the coaster style one at Typhoon Lagoon is exposed somewhat but I seem to recall they themed that as some sort of packing facility or something explaining the track/tubes.

They're themed in that there's like a net draped over them at some points.

A lot of Disney's slides are built into the mountain, but TL and BB's slides are way behind the times.

Reactions: IAmFloridaBorn
Status
Not open for further replies.