Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2 | Page 222 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ScreenShot2014-04-29at62412PM.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

ScreenShot2014-04-29at61854PM.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

ScreenShot2014-04-29at61922PM.jpg

DROOOOOLLLLLL...SO MUCH DETAIL

ReelJustice, thanks for the heads-up on those aerials!

The details and descriptions coming from @derekburgan (https://twitter.com/derekburgan) and @skubersky (https://twitter.com/skubersky) from the F&B/Merch preview are pretty incredible.

Getting even more excited for this to open, and I thought I was as excited as I could be. It reminds me of when we first heard that real Butterbeer, Pumpkin Juice, and Cauldron Cakes were coming in Phase 1.

Derek Burgan ‏@derekburgan:
8 beers will be on tap at The Hopping Pot (across from The Leaky Cauldron) [HASHTAG]#DiagonAlley[/HASHTAG]

Seth Kubersky ‏@skubersky:
The Hopping Pot will serve Wizard ale, Dragon porter, and a steaming non-alcoholic train-themed drink similar to Flaming Moe's. [HASHTAG]#potterwatch[/HASHTAG]

Derek Burgan ‏@derekburgan:
Potter: The "Train beer" will have a train om the tap, billow smoke like a Flaming Moe, and is non-alcoholic. [HASHTAG]#DiagonAlley[/HASHTAG]

Other new drinks include boba mint tea w/ blueberry tapioca & flavored fresh squeezed lemonade [HASHTAG]#potterwatch[/HASHTAG]

Coming to Borgin & Burkes: dark mark scarves, bone candlesticks, Malfoy & Death Eater garb, crystal skulls [HASHTAG]#potterwatch[/HASHTAG]

I'm looking forward to chocolate chili ice cream in a Florean Fortescue's collectible sundae bowl! [HASHTAG]#potterwatch[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#leak[/HASHTAG]

But can we talk about that dragon framework? It's supposed to be a static dragon, correct? But those cables, although I am not mechanically inclined, look to me like we might have some movement?

When was the second tower crane taken down? I don't recall any pomp about it happening but I am quite sure it hasn't been there for a while.

The Gringotts dome location is frustrating me. It apparently has mounts strong enough to install a mini crane for lifting. The gas tanks on the roof makes me sad... as it implies that stupid dragon is permanent.

There is an inner ring to the domes outer ring area. What is that inner ring all about?

I guess the chopper would have to be directly overhead to capture the narrow staircase to nowhere next to the bank building.

Perhaps the VIP's don't need to see the dome and dragon when they visit?

Oooops... NotPennys posted the notion before me. I dared not mention rotation, as I have not yet figured out the purpose of such a thing.

Last edited:
Um, Teebin, we're gunna need a little more negativity from you, please.

Negativity? That was me be observational.

I am not the type to grab the edge of my skirt and wring it like I have to pee over the very attractive signs and wall painting, the upper story window treatments and on and on.

While it isn't more detailed than I anticipated, it is grander in scale than I expected. *flaps arms* How's that?

Reactions: Felipe
My last visit was August of 2012 when the project was just getting started and I've been following its progress ever since as I follow this thread....and yet with all the information I've received here, I am still amazed at what we are seeing. You are so right Teebin, this is much grander in scale than I ever imagined. So happy that I booked a long weekend in September with my son. We're going to enjoy HHN for the first time and Diagon Alley. :happy:

But can we talk about that dragon framework? It's supposed to be a static dragon, correct? But those cables, although I am not mechanically inclined, look to me like we might have some movement?

I have a hard time imagining a static 'statue' dragon rotating as an animated effect. Is it possible the dragon is simply designed to 'rotate' inwards onto the roof for maintenance purposes?

I have a hard time imagining a static 'statue' dragon rotating as an animated effect. Is it possible the dragon is simply designed to 'rotate' inwards onto the roof for maintenance purposes?

I envision the rotating to be of the boom arm/head/neck, with the body and arms stationary, but that's just a guess.

Go back to the concept artwork kiddos... the dragon will be far higher than that current rig...

The only thing I can come up with is that the dragon will arrive with the dome, yet operate independently from it on a rotating base. One single column into the frame of the dragon could twist it 10-15 degrees back and forth... the legs bolted to their perch with articulated joints that react to the rotation. That said, the head has to move, search for the criminals below; the massive tail has to move and snap.

Otherwise... it will be a blah failure.

Totally loving some of the details we're getting from these pictures: signs for the office of the Society for the Reformation of Hags, Fear of Flying Classes, Black Carp Co flying carpet taxi service, Sugarplum's Sweet Shop, and Top Notch Shots photo booth; glimpses of the Magical Menagerie towers and the glass roof over Carkitt Market; advertisements for Screaming Yo-Yos, Dung Bombs, and Firey [sic] Black Pepper...Imps, presumably. (Click on links for additional info.)

Still have not clue what the purpose of that overhead faux train tunnel is, though. Also, I'm exciting about the enclosed and presumably air-conditioned areas of DA such as Knockturn Alley, but I'm wondering if the glass roof over Carkitt Market will shade things and cool them down or create a greenhouse effect and turn the whole place into a hot, steamy mess.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't it been assumed that the DA portion of the WWOHP takes place sometime during books five through seven?

There certainly are indications of that. For example, we know that Weasleys; Wizard Wheezes wasn't established until sometime between the end of HP5 and beginning of HP6. But I don't think we're supposed to assume an exact point in time based on the stories. After all, if that dragon is the dragon Harry, Hermione, and Ron escaped on, then that would mean we are in HP7. If that's the case, Mad-Eye Moody is dead, Ollivander has been kidnapped, and half the shops have been closed or taken over by devotees of the Dark Arts. I don't think that's the case. Universal's DA is more of an amalgam of the best memories from Harry Potter's experiences in DA throughout the books. And as for the dragon, I'm not convinced we'll be seeing that pitiful, half blind, tortured soul of a worm we saw in HP7. Or at least I hope not.

I'm not as pessimistic about the dragon as Teebin is, though. :wave:

Go back to the concept artwork kiddos... the dragon will be far higher than that current rig...

The only thing I can come up with is that the dragon will arrive with the dome, yet operate independently from it on a rotating base. One single column into the frame of the dragon could twist it 10-15 degrees back and forth... the legs bolted to their perch with articulated joints that react to the rotation. That said, the head has to move, search for the criminals below; the massive tail has to move and snap.

Otherwise... it will be a blah failure.

It would be awesome if this is the case, and we will be getting some sort of movement for the dragon. But I don't want to get my hopes up.

I mean, why don't they show the dragon moving in the website walk-through?

For fear of getting our hopes up, I think that the best we should expect is that the mouth will open before the fire blast, which is what I would guess that pulley system is for (I can't think of any other purpose for it). Any other movement will be a great bonus, in my opinion.

Omg omg. The detail is just amazing. I just don't see how it's all going to be done in 2 weeks for the VIPs though. The fountain isn't installed, the dragon isn't installed, from what I can see in the doorways and windows the interiors aren't anywhere close, but I guess we will see.

I got a ton of great info dumped on me today, portions will be posted on Touringplans and orlandoweekly.

Now here is a thought: what would you think if you never SEE Harry Potter in a ride with his name in the title?...

PS I've heard of the same delays as Derek, though I'm confident they will throw everything necessary at the issue to work it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.