Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 31 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go to the people who made Scream 5 since there's obviously going to be a Scream 6 and pitch this to them:

"Let us build an original Scream house and you can use it for filming a meta-opening for Part 6 (free set built for you) where the events of Part 5 lead to a renewed interest in the Stab movies and HHN Orlando builds a Stab house. You could have someone from the original movie going through the house as a publicity guest bla bla bla, they meet their doppleganger scaractor and get a good laugh, then a few Ghostfaces give them good scares until one actually kills him or her and that's your cold opening with a free set piece for the movie and a huge advertisement for HHH 31 or 32. Throw the word 'synergy' around a lot."

Or call it Hallows Eve Horror Nights or Halloween Spooky Nights if Universal is worried about someone being murdered on site in the movie :)

I haven't seen Scream 5 and don't remember much about 4 other than it was disappointing...so maybe my idea doesn't really fit into how the movies play out. But a Stab Haunted House leading to a "real" Ghostface murder seems right in the franchise's wheelhouse.

Really? I thought there was lots of clear set pieces for a house.
The opening scene, the bar, Judy's house, the hospital, and of course Stu's house.
I fear Scream 5 would end up being the Happy Death Day house except without the neat repeating rooms idea and exchanging the baby mask for a ghost mask. Just kind of dull and uninteresting. You could easily say a similar thing about an OG Scream house, but at the very least you have the classic locations from the original. You would only get a taste of that in a Scream 5 house, if anything.

If the purge was any indication, Scream was going to be very similar to what Halloween did, with intimate settings in between some of the "action scenes" it had.

The only thing that can "go wrong" in a Scream house is if they try to push multiple Scream movies/shows into one.

I want to add one important piece to the "is Scream a possibility" discussion.

I fear that licensing for that franchise (especially the name) is currently a mess.

This is all just speculation on my part, but fully based on observations on what other companies have done recently.

If you look at the recent NECA action figure releases, as well as the shirt line that Cavity Colors put out a few weeks ago, the name "Scream" doesn't appear anywhere near any of them. It is strictly "Ghostface".

Why? I'm not 100% sure, but it could be that they would have to pay double the licensing fees. One to the "Scream" rights holders, and a separate one to Fun World for the use of the Ghostface mask. So, they choose to just use the mask, since that's really what people care about anyway (and that one may be the cheaper option).

So...what does that mean for HHN? Universal has a ton of money that they're willing to put into the houses and zones for HHN. Does that mean that they're willing to try and navigate double licenses, and the murky waters that come with that (branding, use on merch, etc)?

If my assumption is the case, I think it may actually be far more likely to see a "Ghostface" house than a "Scream" house. That would mean that they would also have to try and navigate what the individual scenes inside look like, so they're not TOO similar to ones seen in the movies.

TLDR: Uni may have to pay twice to use a Scream/Ghostface licensed house at the event, if that's even possible.

I have yet to Scream 5 so I can’t speak - but 2014’s Halloween is considered an all-timer and had minimal locations.
It was something about the way they captured the essence of the original movie within the execution of the house. AWiL did a good job of this as well.

I want to add one important piece to the "is Scream a possibility" discussion.

I fear that licensing for that franchise (especially the name) is currently a mess.

This is all just speculation on my part, but fully based on observations on what other companies have done recently.

If you look at the recent NECA action figure releases, as well as the shirt line that Cavity Colors put out a few weeks ago, the name "Scream" doesn't appear anywhere near any of them. It is strictly "Ghostface".

Why? I'm not 100% sure, but it could be that they would have to pay double the licensing fees. One to the "Scream" rights holders, and a separate one to Fun World for the use of the Ghostface mask. So, they choose to just use the mask, since that's really what people care about anyway (and that one may be the cheaper option).

So...what does that mean for HHN? Universal has a ton of money that they're willing to put into the houses and zones for HHN. Does that mean that they're willing to try and navigate double licenses, and the murky waters that come with that (branding, use on merch, etc)?

If my assumption is the case, I think it may actually be far more likely to see a "Ghostface" house than a "Scream" house. That would mean that they would also have to try and navigate what the individual scenes inside look like, so they're not TOO similar to ones seen in the movies.

TLDR: Uni may have to pay twice to use a Scream/Ghostface licensed house at the event, if that's even possible.

In fairness, considering what occurred at 25, it seems they weren’t all that opposed to taking a shot at the “double license”. Of course, the whole thing got botched with Weinstein so we don’t know for sure how the whole thing would’ve gone.

In fairness, considering what occurred at 25, it seems they weren’t all that opposed to taking a shot at the “double license”. Of course, the whole thing got botched with Weinstein so we don’t know for sure how the whole thing would’ve gone.

Part of the story that I heard was that the licensers wanted them to use the MTV show instead of the movies, which didn’t use the Fun World mask (the new one was unlicensed, created just for the show).

Saw the new Scream movie. I enjoyed it. As much as I would prefer they do the first one, I can understand if they can't of rights issues. I'd be totally cool if they did a house on the new movie but there is one scene from the original that I hope they can somehow sneak in if rights are an issue.

They could easily just make a house based on this. The first house already looks kinda similar to Casey Becker's house (Well, same feel at least), and they even revist the old house at the end. Aside from the lack of the high school, it would have extremely similar environments from the original). The one scene I'm talking about that I hope they can sneak in is that garage door scene. I mean, that one scene right there kinda sets it apart from the other slasher films. It'd be a shame if they aren't able to do it, but I feel like Orlando's team is the one more likely to take legal risks over Hollywood's.

But if they really wanted to get a little more creative, I could see them put in some pepper's ghost effects with hallucination Billy. Maybe they could also throw in some scrim effects of kills from Stab 8. (Example: "Stab 8 sucked! It didn't follow the original!" *Queue scrim effect where flamethrower Ghostface appears behind a wall as a distraction opportunity*)

But yeah, IF the IP happens, I could see them doing it just based on the new one and maybe sneak in a couple of elements from the first movie.

Y'all, don't share the surveys especially if they have that confidentiality comments. We've gotten our butts bitten before on this stuff.
Oh. The screenshot I was shown didn't include the confidentiality comment, I'm sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.