HHN 31: Halloween | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

HHN 31: Halloween

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I guess it's a good thing that he's not in that one.

24's Halloween is in my top 5 favorite houses and if it's not as good as 2014, I'm going to be gutted. Last year's TCM was a shell of the tent house in my opinion and the AWIL repeat was a disappointment as well.
It's going to be extremely difficult, dare I say impossible, for this house to live up to its' 2014 predecessor.

Halloween 2014 was my first HHN and is still in my top 15-20 houses. I'm not super excited since we were getting Meyers every other year until 30 broke that streak, but the TCM '21 approach at least adds something different than the direct adaptations. As long as the cast gives it their all, I'm sure it'll be intense and fun.

I didn't attend last year - was TCM really that bad?

I am getting a bit more excited for this - but I do kinda wish it was Halloween 2018.

IMHO, it really depended on the cast. We went through three times. Two were fine to good, but the cast was totally hitting on all cylinders on the third one.
Interesting. I enjoyed the one in 2016 but, like Halloween, I feel TCM is better suited to a tent rather than a soundstage.

I'm not a fan of smells so TCM wasn't my favorite house but the chainsaw gauntlet at the end was fun.

The chainsaw gauntlet made for a really fun finale; I remember seeing quite a number of folks running out of that section. I also remember encountering a backup in one run, and one of the Leatherface's proceeded to give me one of the most effective and unnerving stare-downs I've gotten at a haunt.

Now as for Halloween, this is an IP which really comes down to the cast on it working or not. If they bring the intensity, it's gonna' be a good one.

really comes down to the cast on it working or not. If they bring the intensity, it's gonna' be a good one.
Isn't that always the kicker?

I do hope they take some creative liberties with this version...Although some of the abstract houses can be very hit or miss, I'm still on the idea of a Dead Exposure-esque scene with Micheal maybe for the finale...Perhaps even the ending like in the Us house (which is very underrated IMO)

The scene by scene recreation is fine, but I'm hoping for a few "original" scenes embedded

Isn't that always the kicker?

I do hope they take some creative liberties with this version...Although some of the abstract houses can be very hit or miss, I'm still on the idea of a Dead Exposure-esque scene with Micheal maybe for the finale...Perhaps even the ending like in the Us house (which is very underrated IMO)

The scene by scene recreation is fine, but I'm hoping for a few "original" scenes embedded

They already did the DE scene in the 2014 Halloween, though?

Reactions: reeseyNG
I know it's an over-simplification, though I do find it amusing considering the number of folks who were speculating Halloween due to it being HHN's 31st year.

I'll also admit I find the Halloween fatigue over here intriguing, since this is only going to be the 4th time the IP has been at the event in official capacity. Not only that, but there's also been at least a couple years between each house that's shown up. It's not like TWD which showed up for five years straight.

Conversely, I can fully understand the fatigue at Hollywood, since this'll be their 6th Halloween house. On top of that, the IP has shown up to the event in back-to-back years multiple times, and they just did Halloween 4 (for a second time, no less) last year.

Now as for me over here, I'm fine with it. I've only been going since 2018, so the only Halloween house I've experienced is H4. So, I won't mind experiencing a house of the original movie. That said, I don't see this being high on my anticipated list since there's multiple rumored IP's and originals that I'm far more intrigued about.
I don't think Orlando fans really have a big reason to gripe as it has been 4 years since we've had a Halloween house. Now that doesn't mean I want him back anytime soon, but I would like this year to be the swan song for a while before we go back to the Myers well.

Hollywood, however... I can understand the frustration.

i'll just say, im just hoping it looks different than the first tent house and i hope the scenes are done differently ( but it will probably be cheaper to make it closer to the tent house. i really hope they surprise us with different ways to enter the scenes or i hope the set ups are different. for example i hope it has more "outdoors" scenes and different stuff that the tent house didnt have. i wanna see Laurie "running" away from michael "outside"

its like, if american werewolf was coming back again, would it be well received? this reminds me of when american werewolf returned and people were disappointed, i know it is not "literally" the same exact situation, but thats why im hoping they change stuff around. it would be really easy to copy the tent house and i hope they dont (please uni :faint:)

as far as returning properties or sequels to houses, it always feels like they change stuff up. even with Walking Dead

I am getting a bit more excited for this - but I do kinda wish it was Halloween 2018.

TCM last year was mostly hated because of the plastic sheets and missing actors, but i personally found the sets and scenes chosen to be really awesome and great. the entrance was really cool. the "outdoor " scenes were great. the inclusion of TCM 2 was really good, i liked it alot. but on some runs, a bunch of times actors were missing ( and not from cast change. )

It was missing so many TCM iconography; victims on hooks, people getting their face peeled off, dinner scene and the lack of voice cues made the whole thing feel empty. I did enjoy the pig scares and the absolutely disgusting smell. It just didn’t wow me like Hill House (GOAT) or Beetlejuice. Icons was also overrated as hell.

It was missing so many TCM iconography; victims on hooks, people getting their face peeled off, dinner scene and the lack of voice cues made the whole thing feel empty. I did enjoy the pig scares and the absolutely disgusting smell. It just didn’t wow me like Hill House (GOAT) or Beetlejuice. Icons was also overrated as hell.

We’ll agree to disagree on Hill House - really wish I liked it as much as it seems others did - but you nailed it with the point on TCM. I enjoyed the house last year, but the absence of the voice cues or many protagonists left it feeling a little (sleepy) hollow. Given how they’re marketing it relative to last year’s TCM though, it seems they might stick to the same beats as the source material on this Halloween, like the original house. Which has its pluses and minuses I suppose.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
We’ll agree to disagree on Hill House - really wish I liked it as much as it seems others did - but you nailed it with the point on TCM. I enjoyed the house last year, but the absence of the voice cues or many protagonists left it feeling a little (sleepy) hollow. Given how they’re marketing it relative to last year’s TCM though, it seems they might stick to the same beats as the source material on this Halloween, like the original house. Which has its pluses and minuses I suppose.
Hill House just had so much stuff to gush about; the blackout room with the sound effects, the hanging and ceiling Nelly scare, THE FACADE, the sets, bowling hat guy, kitchen and underground room amongst others. I wish I could’ve experienced it without the face mask actors and panels. House of a 1,000 corpses (Goat house) was a better TCM house than TCM ever was :shrug: