HHN 31: Horrors of Blumhouse | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

HHN 31: Horrors of Blumhouse

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Did this last night. It was my first ever HHN house, and it was only okay. Really good set design and some decent scares. The people in front of me kept getting scared before I did though, so I only got scared two or three times. Only did this and Monsters last night (preferred Monsters) so I'll see how it compares to the others in the next few weeks.

From just one run alone, I can already say I would like to see F&F used as a house location again. If they theme the outdoor segment and combine it with a really good concept, it could make for one hell of a great house.

While I was completely underwhelmed with this house in general, I really thought the location was perfect. I hope Fast & Furious continues to be used each HHN.

Reactions: MI1287
I liked this one for what it is, easily the best HoB since the first, maybe ever. I'm a bit surprised the manic horror-comedy with the memorably silly kills didn't translate as well -- I thought a couple shoo-ins were missing -- and they understandably didn't even try to cast a Vince Vaughn look-alike, but the stand-ins for the lead actress seemed close enough. But even more surprised Black Phone, more of a slow-burn psychological thriller, made such a good house. I think the shortened length helps it in this case. But it managed to capture the uneasiness of the movie while delivering an effective "book report" house with some great scares. I doubt a corporate synergy house will ever be a contender for HotY, but this is a solid effort and helps keep the event relevant for younger generations.

It was a really good HHN Hollywood house!

I do think a house back here is helping the event spread crowds and averaging waits throughout. They just need to fix the transition and it would feel complete.

Reactions: JMalez
So if I'm understanding this right ... you go through Freaky, exit OUTSIDE into an unthemed backstage area, and into Black Phone?

That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard

Yup. Haven't been through it at night, but it might have a gobo lighting effect at night - that's it.

Will say, this is a terrific house to do first as your eyes haven't adjusted yet, little to no light bleed in the tent surprisingly.

So if I'm understanding this right ... you go through Freaky, exit OUTSIDE into an unthemed backstage area, and into Black Phone?

In a word, yes, tho you're barely outside long enough to realize it. I thought it worked in the sense of making the house feel like a "double feature," seem a bit longer than it really is.

Basically yeah. It’s strange, but it kinda worked for me. It really makes it feel like two very distinct and separate houses, and I think can almost say there’s 11 houses lol, just with 10 queues.

The size of the house is good, but unless it's always used as a double feature house I don't know how you would handle the transition between inside and out. Also the transition within black phone between the big tent to the smaller tent is a little awkward as it's just black hallway with no scares which kinda makes the ending a little underwhelming.

Also is the main tent for black phone the mib tent or is is a smaller tent?