HHN 31: The Weeknd: After Hours Nightmare | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

HHN 31: The Weeknd: After Hours Nightmare

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I would rather a Thriller house honestly with maybe some Blood on The Dance floor or something but... somebody smarter than me how big of a headache would the MJ/Thriller rights be to use as a house? Seems like a pain in the butt. lol.
Looking forward to seeing what the team comes up with for this house.
We aren't expecting a hellbilly deluxe type scarezone as well are we?

Reactions: ghostsarejerks
I have 2 hangups so far but, as always, I’ll keep my mind open once (or if, depending on how many people are waiting for this every night!) I’m in line for a walkthrough:

1. The costuming makes me wish this was just the Vanity Ball house I’ve wanted since 2019 so much more. </3 Haha

2. I really enjoyed Hellbilly Deluxe as a zone in 2019 after not expecting to. I feel like zones are just better as showcases for musical artists as I can hang around and enjoy each song, plus their corresponding motifs/representations for the duration that works for me. Houses, by the nature of the event nowadays, do not afford that luxury, and need to churn people through as quickly as possible. It’s one of many reasons why what I’ve seen of Alice & Black Sabbath (both acts I ADORE btw) don’t look like they would have impressed me at all. The following happens already to a large enough degree to be frustrating, but I could also see the tracks playing within the house causing an unprecedented amount of conga line traffic jams when fans of Abel who are not familiar with the event try to stop and vibe with a whole song in a particular section of the maze lol.

All that being said, I’m hoping everyone at HHN gets the most out of what they’re attending for, and that nobody impedes anyone else from getting the most out of what they’re attending for. :heart:

I'm hoping one of the speculated zones is wrong and we get a Weeknd zone. I think DawnFM can fit that category well.

Since Hellbilly Deluxe, I think HHN needs one edgy/rock/music based/loud scare zone a year.

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
The imagery with syringes just makes me think of "jello shot" sales

Enjoy a taste of fear every Weeknd with the "After Hours (Jello Shot)" ONLY at Universal's HHN

It’s not that I don’t like the Weeknd. He has catchy songs. And I’m certainly not with the “He’s not horror, it won’t be scary” crowd because I very much enjoyed Penn & Teller in 22. I’m just personally tired of hearing his music. He was the Super Bowl halftime show last year, and they promoted the you know what out of him. Can’t Feel My Face and Blinding Lights were being constantly played. I was excited for the halftime show to be over so I’d have a break from his music. I got about a year and a half break.

I would rather a Thriller house honestly with maybe some Blood on The Dance floor or something but... somebody smarter than me how big of a headache would the MJ/Thriller rights be to use as a house? Seems like a pain in the butt. lol.
Looking forward to seeing what the team comes up with for this house.
We aren't expecting a hellbilly deluxe type scarezone as well are we?
the biggest problem of a MJ/Thriller house or zone would be the possible backlash and controversy it could cause. i have zero idea on how rhe rights work,
but i could see some backlash

I have 2 hangups so far but, as always, I’ll keep my mind open once (or if, depending on how many people are waiting for this every night!) I’m in line for a walkthrough:

1. The costuming makes me wish this was just the Vanity Ball house I’ve wanted since 2019 so much more. </3 Haha

2. I really enjoyed Hellbilly Deluxe as a zone in 2019 after not expecting to. I feel like zones are just better as showcases for musical artists as I can hang around and enjoy each song, plus their corresponding motifs/representations for the duration that works for me. Houses, by the nature of the event nowadays, do not afford that luxury, and need to churn people through as quickly as possible. It’s one of many reasons why what I’ve seen of Alice & Black Sabbath (both acts I ADORE btw) don’t look like they would have impressed me at all. The following happens already to a large enough degree to be frustrating, but I could also see the tracks playing within the house causing an unprecedented amount of conga line traffic jams when fans of Abel who are not familiar with the event try to stop and vibe with a whole song in a particular section of the maze lol.

All that being said, I’m hoping everyone at HHN gets the most out of what they’re attending for, and that nobody impedes anyone else from getting the most out of what they’re attending for. :heart:

alice cooper is one of the worst houses ive ever seen.
and to add to your point, you could argue that the killer klowns and trick r treat zones were much more fun than the houses.

Since Hellbilly Deluxe, I think HHN needs one edgy/rock/music based/loud scare zone a year.

if anything i think uni will push away from anything metal for the future, metal will not bring the kind of numbers and young teen audiences they need. while Hellbilly Deluxe was extremely fun, one thing i noticed from online posts or comments at the event, it was that a lot of people didnt even understand or knew what rob zombie was. some people kept calling it the exotic dance/ night club zone or referring to the actresses in the zone as lady gaga
every night i passed by, someone was calling them lady gaga. but this year. Everyone will know who the Weeknd is

one thing i noticed from online posts or comments at the event, it was that a lot of people didnt even understand or knew what rob zombie was.
This is nothing new. The general public are completely stupid & have no idea what they're going through even with giant signage.

Another thing is, they also have no sense of direction when it comes to things they've done or where the park entrance/exit is.

I think the argument could be made that The Weeknd is probably their biggest IP get.
From a sheer recognition standpoint, absolutely. From a strategic marketing standpoint though, I dont know. Among the target audience you’ve got:

-Diehard fans: they’re coming no matter what, so whatever

-Casual haunt fans: yeah, a name as big as The Weeknd makes them take notice, but is an event that promotes an R&B artist of all things as a major headliner really going to win their dollars over your more traditionally-themed haunts? Probably not…so regardless of The Weeknd, Michael Myers and the Universal brand are doing the heavy lifting.

-Weeknd fans with little-to-no prior exposure to the event: this is probably where the biggest chunk of new visitors is theoretically coming from. But I’d be real surprised to see a Venn diagram of haunt fans and Weeknd fans with an overlapping circle larger than what was worth the effort/resources to secure the IP.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s more of a passion project than major IP score (hot shot designers wanting to work with legitimate artists). I know I personally am at least a little bit curious about it and open to the idea, but I fall into ^^^Segment 1. My friends in Segment 2 who saw the announcement are all firmly in the “meh” to “wtf” category.

Reactions: jseal777
From a sheer recognition standpoint, absolutely. From a strategic marketing standpoint though, I dont know. Among the target audience you’ve got:

-Diehard fans: they’re coming no matter what, so whatever

-Casual haunt fans: yeah, a name as big as The Weeknd makes them take notice, but is an event that promotes an R&B artist of all things as a major headliner really going to win their dollars over your more traditionally-themed haunts? Probably not…so regardless of The Weeknd, Michael Myers and the Universal brand are doing the heavy lifting.

-Weeknd fans with little-to-no prior exposure to the event: this is probably where the biggest chunk of new visitors is theoretically coming from. But I’d be real surprised to see a Venn diagram of haunt fans and Weeknd fans with an overlapping circle larger than what was worth the effort/resources to secure the IP.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s more of a passion project than major IP score (hot shot designers wanting to work with legitimate artists). I know I personally am at least a little bit curious about it and open to the idea, but I fall into ^^^Segment 1. My friends in Segment 2 who saw the announcement are all firmly in the “meh” to “wtf” category.

makes you wonder if weeknd fans would pay for an event that only features him in a small/ short haunted house,
but, if the weeknd features heavily in the lagoon show, then thats a completely different thing. that would truly be an experience worth paying for
that would be news worthy

(and if they were smart, they would put one of his songs, music in the second show...imagine that, a triple treat)

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
makes you wonder if weeknd fans would pay for an event that only features him in a small/ short haunted house,
but, if the weeknd features heavily in the lagoon show, then thats a completely different thing. that would truly be an experience worth paying for
that would be news worthy

(and if they were smart, they would put one of his songs, music in the second show...imagine that, a triple treat)
I definitely feel like we'll at least get some Weeknd music in the lagoon show

Reactions: Lucky Planet
if anything i think uni will push away from anything metal for the future, metal will not bring the kind of numbers and young teen audiences they need. Everyone will know who the Weeknd is

there is no accounting for bad taste.:bolt:
This is nothing new. The general public are completely stupid & have no idea what they're going through even with giant signage.

Another thing is, they also have no sense of direction when it comes to things they've done or where the park entrance/exit is.
Just last summer I saw a grown ass man all but cuss out a team member because he couldn’t find Diagon Alley.
Guess where he was standing :grin::grin:

Reactions: Lucky Planet