Incredible Hulk Coaster Refurb | Page 41 | Inside Universal Forums

Incredible Hulk Coaster Refurb

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
And the batteries... Interesting fact is that I assumed I knew what kind of batteries they were using on Rockit only to find out I was wrong and I had never even heard of the kind of battery tech used. (some of you tech types may have heard of this before so don't make fun of me)

The batteries used on Rockit are capacitor batteries. These batteries get their power as a static charge, and that is how they are recharged so quickly. Problem is they don't hold a robust amount of power... depending on the draw, it can be very short.

I feel certain these will be the batteries used on Hulk. :)

That's quite interesting. Are they large or heavy?

Why are they doing this??? I am baffled. Have to make a few phone calls...

from @bioreconstruct

CT27XMJWUAAKhR5.jpg

This renders the old columns unuseable.

Soo..Doesn't this mean everything will be taller??

I don't think weight should be an issue, unless the trains would be wider to accommodate for vest-type restraints, but in that case the launch tunnel would probably have to be redone. I think that there will be some changes to the height of the ride.

I don't think weight should be an issue, unless the trains would be wider to accommodate for vest-type restraints, but in that case the launch tunnel would probably have to be redone. I think that there will be some changes to the height of the ride.

Weight is an issue but not sure how much with this style ride. The onboard audio for Space Mountain was canned when it was decided not to rebuild the ride track to support the heavier trains. Speakers, batteries, charging equipment, and show control systems do add weight.

Reactions: anihilnation

I don't think weight would be a major issue either especially with the batteries you showed earlier. I imagine that coasters like this were severely over engineered given the variations in weights of the riders.

I hope that there will be a more intense launch and this might result in greater forces leading to the strengthening of the foundations.

Reactions: anihilnation
I don't think weight would be a major issue either especially with the batteries you showed earlier. I imagine that coasters like this were severely over engineered given the variations in weights of the riders.

I hope that there will be a more intense launch and this might result in greater forces leading to the strengthening of the foundations.

Of course weight is a major issue, its the biggest issue since when you are dealing with g-forces you are multiplying the entire weight of the train. So adding weight when it will be multiplied 3-5x isn't as trivial as one would assume. When you design something you design it for its works case scenario. So even if the coaster was designed to hold 32 people each weighing 300 pounds, they now need to calculate it for 32 people weighing 300 pounds plus the added weight of the new hardware going in. Its not like they say we over calculated the first time so good enough.

Weight is an issue but not sure how much with this style ride. The onboard audio for Space Mountain was canned when it was decided not to rebuild the ride track to support the heavier trains. Speakers, batteries, charging equipment, and show control systems do add weight.
I can understand with Space Mountain, but B&Ms are already beefie coasters. B&M has a coaster with sound in Uni Japan, does anyone know if the tracks/supports are much different?

Of course weight is a major issue, its the biggest issue since when you are dealing with g-forces you are multiplying the entire weight of the train. So adding weight when it will be multiplied 3-5x isn't as trivial as one would assume. When you design something you design it for its works case scenario. So even if the coaster was designed to hold 32 people each weighing 300 pounds, they now need to calculate it for 32 people weighing 300 pounds plus the added weight of the new hardware going in. Its not like they say we over calculated the first time so good enough.
Yes, but that is different from what the supports can handle, the way the weight affects the manoeuvering is different from the way it affects the supports etc. Still a great point you bring up, maybe that is a reason why they would have to alter heights of the elements etc. and change launch speed.

Perhaps the new trains will launch at 120mph in 3 seconds. That would put a bit of a strain on things... :saywhat:
That would only increase the kinetic energy by a factor of 9... turning its max g-force of 4 to around 16 depending of where that element is and how the speed is carried though the coaster.

That goes without saying but I imagine there will have been a lot of advances in weight reductions since 1999. The seats could be lighter, the restraints could be lighter, the chassis could be lighter, the shell could be lighter, the wheel assembly could be lighter. Add all these up and I would assume it will be more weight saved than the couple of pounds for the speakers and a couple of batteries that we assume will be added. The distribution of the weight will also be a major factor in play here.

First, I was joking. Second, that much energy encountered by the original initial roll might have been a bit much.

That's probably why they're really enforcing nobody has anything in their pockets.

We don't want somebody in Universal Studios getting hit by a penny.

Florida's fastest acceleration ... Would makeca good advertising, SeaWorld would still have the fastest coaster with Mako, but Uni could have the fastest launch.

Reactions: Scott W.
Florida's fastest acceleration ... Would makeca good advertising, SeaWorld would still have the fastest coaster with Mako, but Uni could have the fastest launch.

How many launch coasters are there in Florida? Rockin is the only other one that I am aware of (surprise, surprise).

We don't want somebody in Universal Studios getting hit by a penny.

Geeez, at that speed, they wouldn't anyone at the high school getting hit by a penny!