Jurassic World | Page 23 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic World

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm not trying to draw this out, but of those movies mentioned, none of them have the spectacle element that something like JP has. I don't want to use Avatar as an example, so I won't :lol:. I'll use Gravity. Seeing Gravity in IMAX 3D is going to be a different experience than seeing it in 2D on a big screen and even more of a difference on a 40 inch TV.

For instance. I saw The Descent at home and thought it was well-made, but didn't scare me or make me uncomfortable. I saw it again a year later in a film class (our film classes at SFSU were in big theaters) on a film print with the full surround sound. I was shocked by how terrifyingly claustrophobic that movie became with the sound of every little pebble scratching audibly against a character. You may not think it has an impact, but until you experience it both ways, you'll never know.

I get what your saying. Using an opposite example, Paranormal Activity won't have the same effect in a theater as it would at home.

Reactions: BusyBee
I get what your saying. Using an opposite example, Paranormal Activity won't have the same effect in a theater as it would at home.

Correct. And it's statically proven that you laugh more in comedies surrounded by people (either at home or in a theater) than you do by yourself.

You may not think it has an impact, but until you experience it both ways, you'll never know.

True. If my local theater ever screens JP on the big screen, I'd check it out and see if I like it better in that format. That being said, I saw Gravity in 3D at the theater, also brought it on BD and watched it on my 40" in 2D, enjoyed it just the same. Saw The Dark Knight in IMAX, enjoyed it more at home.

It wasn't that JW was more "fun", I just found JW to be more entertaining, and that's not something that can easily be boiled down to reason. I found JP slow at times, while JW just seemed to keep going. Other people are going to disagree with that, and that's fine. JP was a better -movie-, JW was just more -entertaining-, for me. Perhaps I also went into JP with the wrong reasons. I just wanted to see dinos mess things up and eat people, which doesn't happen until the end of the movie. With JW, it happens much sooner. Hence the higher entertainment factor.

True. If my local theater ever screens JP on the big screen, I'd check it out and see if I like it better in that format. That being said, I saw Gravity in 3D at the theater, also brought it on BD and watched it on my 40" in 2D, enjoyed it just the same. Saw The Dark Knight in IMAX, enjoyed it more at home.

It wasn't that JW was more "fun", I just found JW to be more entertaining, and that's not something that can easily be boiled down to reason. I found JP slow at times, while JW just seemed to keep going. Other people are doing to disagree with that, and that's fine. JP was a better -movie-, JW was just more -entertaining-, for me. Perhaps I also went into JP with the wrong reasons. I just wanted to see dinos mess things up and eat people, which doesn't happen until the end of the movie. With JW, it happens much sooner. Hence the higher entertainment factor.

Fair enough. I'm glad you enjoyed JW. And we have similar tastes in movies (maybe not all time favs, but in general). Except for JW :thumbsup:

Reactions: RonaldsModernLife
Went to see it at 4:00PM in 3D, arrived at the local mall at 3:30, already sold out, so caught 4:45 PM, before it was sold out....TONS of people at the theater to watch it and they had special displays, t-shirts and signs everywhere for this movie (Cobb theater).

People clapped at the end also.

My thoughts, really enjoyed the movie, and I was not expecting to like it much after seeing the trailers.

I think they made a mistake by putting the "trained raptors" portion in the trailers because the idea seemed silly to me, however in the movie, they played it off much better than I expected, how Owen didn't want to do it until he had to and even then, told the kids it was not safe.

The "divorce" segment was bad because it was just a loose end that was never resolved, it tried too hard to give the kids a storyline and didn't work out well IMO.

I noticed they didn't use the bad CG Jurassic World gate from the trailer, so that was good. Much more impressed by the movie CG than the trailers overall.

I thought the whatever-its-called Rex was not as scary looking as it could have been. They waited so long for the reveal of it, and it just looked slightly different than other dinos. I figured it would look much different.

Lots of homages I saw in this one that I liked.

The comedic parts were well placed and I enjoyed the pacing of the movie but I agree it was much less intense than the first JP film.

I couldn't come to like the lady who ran the park (name escapes me) at the end...her and Owen (remembered his name) get this romantic connection, but it didn't feel natural to me.

It was cool seeing them use the old, abandoned Discovery Center

Also, I feel kinda bad for IOA though, because with the now "old" JP there, I wonder if people are going to want newer things themed more to JW.

Genuine question: for those who like JW better than JP, how old are you? Not a slam at all. Just wondering if the first time you experienced JP was on VHS at home or on the big screen.

I'm 38. Saw JP repeatedly in the theaters, including the 3d rerelease.

LOVED.IT! Of course it can't capture the "vibe" of the original JP but I thought this was the second best entry in the series (by a long shot). I agree with some other here that the dialog and plot were somewhat of a let down. But let's face it....aren't we all just there for the Dinos anyway? ;) I will be seeing it again sometime this week to try to pick up on things I missed.

We saw it during a sold out 10am IMAX 3D showing on Saturday morning. People all clapped at the end of it. I gladly joined in!

Reactions: Brian G.
Quick note: The one things this movie did a great job at was making me really believe in Owen's relationship with the raptors.

The scene where one of the Raptors was shot was made very emotional by all of the build up and connection Owen had with them throughout the movie. I actually legitimately let out a gasp at that moment. I just wish other plot points built up to things like that. Things like the divorce plot point were useless, used only to try to inflict emotions and give the boys a storyline.

Reactions: IAmFloridaBorn
God, I was thinking the minute Wu left that this military plot was just the beginning. I wonder if they'll take it a different direction as that is the one aspect of the film that most people agree on. I haven't heard one person who liked the military subplot.

God, I was thinking the minute Wu left that this military plot was just the beginning. I wonder if they'll take it a different direction as that is the one aspect of the film that most people agree on. I haven't heard one person who liked the military subplot.

I hope it doesn't become Jurassic Wars for the sequel... :lol:

That's 100% where it's going to go. I hope everyone realizes that. There's literally nothing else that can be done with the theme park storyline. We've seen all we can see.

Yeah, I know we're done with the theme park. I just don't want Dino Squad A vs Dino Squad B.

I'm all for it. This series is 100% going to go into F&F action style movies.

Et tu, Skip?

That sounds truly awful. FF found it's identity by going crazy. It was like they realized that trying to make vaguely realistic and "good" entries was a trap. It freed itself by going dumber than dumb. JP didn't need to go that rout. Except that they've written themselves into a corner now.

Reactions: RonaldsModernLife
Et tu, Skip?

That sounds truly awful. FF found it's identity by going crazy. It was like they realized that trying to make vaguely realistic and "good" entries was a trap. It freed itself by going dumber than dumb. JP didn't need to go that rout. Except that they've written themselves into a corner now.

I really don't have a problem with it.

And to be honest, I don't see what else could have been done with the theme park storyline. The park has already catastrophically failed in-Universe twice. Three if you include the Rex rampage from Lost World.