Revenge of the Mummy Refurbishment (Late 2022) | Page 124 | Inside Universal Forums

Revenge of the Mummy Refurbishment (Late 2022)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Any truth to the rumor they removed the physical scarab effect? I saw somewhere (maybe a twitter thread) that the scene is now entirely projections with the slot where fake physical scarabs would pour out covered up. Would be sad if true. I wish there was an actual comprehensive recap of the changes / updates made to this. I know some of it is very subtle but this forum usually holds the answers. Is the descending wall after the treasure room now slower as well?

Any truth to the rumor they removed the physical scarab effect? I saw somewhere (maybe a twitter thread) that the scene is now entirely projections with the slot where fake physical scarabs would pour out covered up. Would be sad if true. I wish there was an actual comprehensive recap of the changes / updates made to this. I know some of it is very subtle but this forum usually holds the answers. Is the descending wall after the treasure room now slower as well?

I watched the shaky POV that was going around and thought I noticed the physical scarab effect is gone. The vantage wasn’t altogether clear, but I also couldn’t see if the physical skeletons survived.

Yes, the bug elevator effect has been removed, replaced with just solid screen projection. No more bug drop hole.

Yes. The dropping wall at end of treasure room seems to be moving slower. But lots of timing for show scene elements may still be tweaked or may be affected by ride vehicle timings being off during technical rehearsals.

There aren’t many notable differences of the ride experience other than the bug scene and new flashing lights at the base of the launch tunnel. Most changes have been related to the new ride control system or replaced effects. But are meant to be the same as before. There are slight timing differences, brighter bulbs or more fluid AA movement, but not much actual “changes”… other than the bug scene.

So, was there any track replaced or not?

Doesn't look or sound like it, it's not really needed unless there's been significant wear and tear on them. And unlike other coasters, the track here is in a more controlled environment and out of the elements. This refurb was more on the technical and software side, ride systems, launch, brakes, lighting, projections. That kind of stuff.

At this point the technical rehearsal stuff is pretty frustrating. I think they need to just pull off the bandaid and declare it open.
But the whole reason it’s listed as technical rehearsal is because it’s not able to be open all day. They’re being honest up front about it being unreliable by saying it’s in technical rehearsal. That’s the point.

When it can actually stay open all day, they call it open.

But the whole reason it’s listed as technical rehearsal is because it’s not able to be open all day. They’re being honest up front about it being unreliable by saying it’s in technical rehearsal. That’s the point.

When it can actually stay open all day, they call it open.

Sure, I understand the rationale. But sooner or later, the hand will need to be forced, and they’ll have to grit through some unreliability - just like Hagrid and Gringotts before it. (Not saying those cases are aspirational - but an attraction advertised to be open by the end of the summer, which is fast approaching in technical terms, can’t stay in technical rehearsals indefinitely.)

Reactions: Freak
Sure, I understand the rationale. But sooner or later, the hand will need to be forced, and they’ll have to grit through some unreliability - just like Hagrid and Gringotts before it. (Not saying those cases are aspirational - but an attraction advertised to be open by the end of the summer, which is fast approaching in technical terms, can’t stay in technical rehearsals indefinitely.)
Opening it with the current technical issues would be a nightmare. They should take their time.

There’s not much time left where they can just say “eh, it’s down. No biggie”. HHN is here then after that it will be the holidays. Maybe they’re keeping it closed during the day so it can operate for HHN?

I’m more upset about Disney advertising Cosmic Rewind as “Now Open” for months on billboards and commercials, but not allowing you to get in line to ride it than Universal claiming something will reopen by late summer and instead only soft open. At least they’re being honest about its lack of availability.

I’m more upset about Disney advertising Cosmic Rewind as “Now Open” for months on billboards and commercials, but not allowing you to get in line to ride it than Universal claiming something will reopen by late summer and instead only soft open. At least they’re being honest about its lack of availability.

Especially this past week when they weren't allowing you to ride again or opening standby with boarding groups still available

I'm a little sad about the dropping scarab effect change but if it looks better than before then awesome! It seems like a strange choice to change it though? Was too dark to see with the other changes?

There’s not much time left where they can just say “eh, it’s down. No biggie”. HHN is here then after that it will be the holidays. Maybe they’re keeping it closed during the day so it can operate for HHN?
If it behaved that predictably it would be fully open no? The idea of the ride deciding it won't work before 5PM is hilarious though. Sorry kids, Mummy says not before dark. To be fair it is really hot now. lol

The original reopening date was likely based on best-case scenario with some wiggle room for problems and troubleshooting. It's no small task to bring in newer software and then make it backwards-comparable with older hardware. They also weren't doing things 1:1 but adjusted things like effect timings around the ride too. Kooky, unpredictable things are gonna happen.

If the ride is going to have too many frequent down times it'll sour people's moods real quick. Normally wouldn't be a problem for new ride because it's kind of expected but for a ride as established as the Mummy guests will have a lesser understanding and patience about why it's down so often if they ride is declared fully reopened.

For now I think having the sign out front tempers expectations and obviously it's not ideal but it's a good middle ground between being completely closed until it's all fixed and saying it's fully open but being effectively closed all day anyway due to technical issues.

EDIT: Looking at when fall starts (Sep 22) there's some time for things to be smoothed out before October and when HHN really kicks into gear.

Last edited:
This is 100% idle speculation with no root in reality:

Universal ops wanted Mummy open several times but UC kept pushing it back. They were given one last push back but told it had to be open for Labor Day weekend and HHN days. So they'll close the ride on days to finish the work and then reopen for high attendance days while still claiming it's under refurbishment (because it is!).

This is 100% idle speculation with no root in reality:

Universal ops wanted Mummy open several times but UC kept pushing it back. They were given one last push back but told it had to be open for Labor Day weekend and HHN days. So they'll close the ride on days to finish the work and then reopen for high attendance days while still claiming it's under refurbishment (because it is!).
What do they have yet to do I wonder?

Unless you're referring to working out the ride programming kinks