Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Stage 28/Phantom Stage Replacement

I feel like I'm the only person who loves this movie. Is it one of the best animated movies ever. No, it's not even the best animated movie this year. But I enjoyed the hell out of it and I thought it was pretty funny

Secret Life of Pets is a massive hit... how massive? Well, for starters: last year Pixar's Inside Out broke the box office record for largest opening weekend for an original film ever, a record held for nearly six years at that point by Avatar. Just little over a year later, Secret Life of Pets slammed through that wall and is producing a $96 mil and above opening weekend: http://variety.com/2016/film/news/box-office-secret-life-pets-finding-dory-mike-and-dave-dory-1201811195/

This is great news for those wanting to see this be something more than the usual Universal attraction. We may even see an announcement soon as well, keep your eyes peeled.

Just got back from seeing the movie and I wasn't overwhelmed by it. I had a few laughs in it, but it was short and forgettable. I'm going to discuss the movie and then the ride. 

The biggest issue I had with the movie was that the characters and everything in general felt shallow. The film was so focused on trying to cram humor in any way they could that they shoved out any heart in it. Some moments were funny, more than often, it didn't work. There were some moments where they tried to be Pixar with some tender moments but it just fell flat with how the characters reacted. 

It was a shallow, forgettable animated film overall with little emotion, but a lot of people seem to like it and is doing well overall. Good for Universal. At least we'll get a (hopefully) nice ride out of this movie.

There are some environments I definately see working in this ride. I could see this as a very solid family dark ride with some fun moments. Hopefully it won't be shallow like the movie. 

Just got back from seeing the movie and I wasn't overwhelmed by it. I had a few laughs in it, but it was short and forgettable. I'm going to discuss the movie and then the ride. 

The biggest issue I had with the movie was that the characters and everything in general felt shallow. The film was so focused on trying to cram humor in any way they could that they shoved out any heart in it. Some moments were funny, more than often, it didn't work. There were some moments where they tried to be Pixar with some tender moments but it just fell flat with how the characters reacted. 

It was a shallow, forgettable animated film overall with little emotion, but a lot of people seem to like it and is doing well overall. Good for Universal. At least we'll get a (hopefully) nice ride out of this movie.

There are some environments I definately see working in this ride. I could see this as a very solid family dark ride with some fun moments. Hopefully it won't be shallow like the movie. 

I'm curious to see how the second weekend drop looks. I haven't seen the film yet, but every single person I've chatted with are all pretty "meh" about it. Hopefully the attraction is better than the film. I would rather see them push full ahead with a great attraction rather than get a screen based attraction, as discussed on the recent podcast. At this point I'd much rather have an overwhelming attraction than movie. 

Blu-ray.com gave it a poor review...but they liked Ghostbusters (2016).

I don't know if I can trust them anymore...LOL

Personally, I look at Rotten Tomatoes more for scores rather than sites like Blu-ray and IMDB..

Although I am surprised about Ghostbusters possibly tracking well..it's a Paul Feig movie.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no way USH would make a ride based on the female Ghostbusters. If they did build one, it would be set in the same setting as the original. 

Imagine if they did build a ride based on the remake GB. People who didn't go on the ride for any reason would be labeled sexist as they left the lower lot. 

I'm curious to see how the second weekend drop looks. I haven't seen the film yet, but every single person I've chatted with are all pretty "meh" about it. Hopefully the attraction is better than the film. I would rather see them push full ahead with a great attraction rather than get a screen based attraction, as discussed on the recent podcast. At this point I'd much rather have an overwhelming attraction than movie. 

As of now, SLoP is tracking to make another 50-55 mil domestically. So far it's only opened in 8 overseas markets and made a collective 42 mil. Over the next few weeks it'll open up around the rest of the world. 

There's no way USH would make a ride based on the female Ghostbusters. If they did build one, it would be set in the same setting as the original. 

May want to book a flight to Dubai then: http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201607/5169/

And SLoP is going to shred into the new GB movie (which I just saw, it's mediocre at best), although ironically the new GB has way more proton pack action than either of the two films combined. (best parts of the movie, too)

An update on the box office of SLoP, the IP rumored to take SS28's plot;

It has made in total over 253 million dollars. This counts both the Domestic and Foreign box office. And it should be best said that it's theatrical run worldwide is getting warmed up, in a sense.

Either way, things should get interesting on SLoP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not much of a need to follow its box office run anymore, the suits have gathered what they need to know by now and that is: this is indeed their newest big franchise.

The money firehose has arrived.

That makes me uneasy. They may use that as an excuse to delay the ride until 2018. 

I thought that it was said that it'd be for 2018 since day one?

I would think also, if they really wanted to capitalize on the synergy of SLoP, we may have to sacrifice exclusivity for the attraction..

I thought that it was said that it'd be for 2018 since day one?

I would think also, if they really wanted to capitalize on the synergy of SLoP, we may have to sacrifice exclusivity for the attraction..

Um, no? When the rumor started everyone said next year. Don't know if that's still the case. 

Um, no? When the rumor started everyone said next year. Don't know if that's still the case. 

Hmm, then I would imagine that if it isn't vertical by now, we won't see the attraction till 2018 (either by the means that they wanted to wait for Box Office, or something else).