Super Nintendo World (Osaka) | Page 188 | Inside Universal Forums

Super Nintendo World (Osaka)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Possibly dumb question: Are those gust clouds in the sky section animatronics? If those are screens, color me sincerely impressed, they look extremely dimensional.
I’ve been trying to figure that out too! I think they are really well done screens.

I really don’t know if they could’ve done it any differently with Forbidden Journey, unfortunately. Especially when you consider they weren’t certain that there would be more Potter additions—they had to pack as many monsters as possible.
I am not opposed to the best of approach myself, BUT I dislike when people use FJ (or really any of the HP attractions) as the perfect example of how to do a best of and keep continuity. Now, if they found some way to stop calling us muggles in the rides/land, I would not have this complaint.

Meanwhile, Mario as a franchise has not claimed any real continuity, so it gets more of a pass from me on the Yoshi ride front.
Now I just hope we get the DK play area at some point....
Pretty sure that area would be more like an actual kid’s play area with nets and slides. Something for smaller kids to do while their older siblings ride the mine cart.
I had no idea there was even a playground rumored, so this sounds great to me.

My first visit to USH will be for this, and I’m basically just doing SNW, Pets, Studio Tour, and JP all day haha
The only time I have been to USH in the last 15 years was for HHN. When I go I plan on hitting the above mentioned attractions and Water World.
1. Yes

2. No, Team Bowser can win if the cars don’t earn enough coins.

3. Probably was meant to open a year after phase 1, but now I would guess a year after the park is back to regular capacity (so, might be a little while).

4. I don’t know but I’m sure someone can do the math besides me!
1. I kind of figured, but thought it was worth an ask

2. That's great.

3. Hopefully USO gets all three at once.

4. The space is really interesting to me as now I know there is supposed to be a playground and it just doesn't look that big.

Possibly dumb question: Are those gust clouds in the sky section animatronics? If those are screens, color me sincerely impressed, they look extremely dimensional.
The Ty-Foos appear to be screens. I was questioning it too with the AR video, but I looked harder on the video without the AR.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
I am not opposed to the best of approach myself, BUT I dislike when people use FJ (or really any of the HP attractions) as the perfect example of how to do a best of and keep continuity. Now, if they found some way to stop calling us muggles in the rides/land, I would not have this complaint.

Possibly. I just have no idea how they could've made a coherent story without unintentionally making it even more convoluted. That there were two more films remaining at the time it opened made it even harder.

Last edited:
Reactions: Disneyson1
Not to make it a competition but Na’vi River Journey also did the multilayer screen thing.
Yea, but that was like different heights, whereas I think this may be two planes overlapping together (maybe one front projected and another rear projected?) to create a three-dimensional image when viewed together. Like that fish monster coming out of the screen that I could’ve sworn was AR but was somehow a projection maybe? I’m still not entirely sure how it’s accomplished, but to me it looks more “3D” than River Journey’s layers. In any case, it’s really impressive, which is why I said they may have “cracked” it, even if they weren’t first.

(River Journey’s centipede crawling on a log was still the best projection map effect I had seen up to that point.)

Reactions: Clive and Mike S
My expectations were warped Day 1 (May 2015, when this was first announced)

I feel personally attacked right now. I hadn’t really thought about it until you pointed it out, but... it’s been almost six years. Good lord, where has the time gone? It feels like just yesterday SNW was announced, even in spite of actually watching the land be built seem like ages, yet here we are. Crazy.

Possibly. I just have no idea how they could've made a coherent story without unintentionally making it even more convoluted.
Don’t call us muggles and just pretend we are all there for the lecture. Make our role guests (Dumbledore put out the word about a special open house lecture in the Tattler) without referring to our magical ability. The rest happens as is.

I was really just using HP as my example for why the Yoshi ride WASN’T a problem. Mario does not have deep lore or continuity that gets put at stake when they blend things together. That’s my main takeaway after having watched the Yoshi video. They break no world rules, so while the blending is odd from an aesthetic standpoint at times, it’s fine and kids will have fun.

Wow! Amazing to see another groundbreaking land and attraction debut!
I have a few thoughts based on the *checks notes* 60 pages I've recently caught up on and the videos I've seen of Mario Kart in action.
Firstly everyone I've shown anything to regarding the land has been blown away. I've had a fair few say it looks like a CG background with people photoshopped in. The look and feel of everything is just spot on. And the game aspects of the land feel like the best iteration of interactive areas in a themed land to date, they are the best possible next step from the wand locations. They feel more naturally integrated too - wand effects were great but passive. These feel like they give much more payoff, which is so great!
I feel like there's so much more for me to explore than what I've seen already and that excites me immensely! This land has so much energy going on throughout that I imagine it will give some sensory overload, in the best possible way!
The only knock I might give it is space but honestly that also impresses me. They fit so much into such a small space. I do think they might want to widen some areas up for the Orlando version but I'm sure they recognize spacial needs and crowd projections better than I do.
I'm really excited to see what kind of merch gets added in the future. I've read about the cultural differences in Japan when it comes to souvenirs and merch in the parks, so I recognize that we probably aren't seeing the full assortment of things we may get available in US iterations. But man do I wanna get the Universal Cup when I complete my first run on MK! What a feeling that would be!
I'm going to put more detailed thoughts on Mario Kart in a spoiler tag, and some more general comments on the ride below that.
So I had chills watching it initially because the sheer amount of things happening at the start just blew my mind. I knew that AR was going to play a role - I did not realize that ultimately that would provide the UMPH the ride needs to manage the frantic pacing of a Mario Kart race while maintaining a speed that allows for everything happening around us to be digested. In my mind, they created the best possible middle ground you could have for a fast paced ride experience while allowing us to really feel and experience the characters and environments Mario Kart has to offer. I am beyond excited to ride it and play it! With all those things said, and with respect for the technical marvel that it is - I am positive Universal and Nintendo anticipated backlash from their respective fan bases. I really feel like the vocal portion of fans in these demographics leans toward those who expected FAST. I also think Mario Kart as an IP is super well defined and this ride definitely modifies certain aspects of that definition, which further threw some people off. One of those being the competition aspect. I have to admit that even I was thrown off initially by the final product, and I loved seeing what it was. Realistically I recognize the difficulty of implementing full on competitions between cars but it appears that there really isn't incentive to even attempt to aim at the opposite ride vehicle. A huge aspect of Mario Kart is the competition between friends and family members. Ultimately I know that one of my expectations upon initially hearing it was coming was the idea that I'd be able to "blue shell" my friends IRL. Clearly for the purposes of simplicity, the ride concept became about getting the baddies rather than each other - and ultimately it makes total sense. But I gotta say, the idea of causing my sisters kart opposite mine to spin out from a well timed shell throw is still a very fun one! As for the expectation of speed, I truly think they were aiming to create a family attraction that focused on gameplay rather than thrill, and utilized the frantic pace of events around you to create the sensation of a race, rather than actual speed. I think they knocked it out of the park by doing so.
Ultimately I believe Mario Kart looks like it will be an incredibly fun, highly engaging ride experience! I feel that I will have to ride it many times just to get the hang of the gameplay aspect, not to mention getting a good look at every aspect working in tandem to create the experience, particularly those gorgeous physical sets and show pieces. I know it's been discussed ad nauseum but I will say that the speed element I'm seeing lambasted everywhere online makes no sense to me. Watching the videos, based on what's happening around you, I could barely keep up. I will say I get the disappointment over the lack of a Mario animatronic in a kart or even just a Bowser figure for the boss battle, in part because their cartoony appearance makes them better candidates for it than the last IP. I do understand why it didn't happen but I recognize why it was something people had hoped for.
I'm super pumped to see this come to the states! I cannot wait to jump on board, once the world returns to a more normal state of course!

Last edited:
Wow! Amazing to see another groundbreaking land and attraction debut!
I have a few thoughts based on the *checks notes* 60 pages I've recently caught up on and the videos I've seen of Mario Kart in action.
Firstly everyone I've shown anything to regarding the land has been blown away. I've had a fair few say it looks like a CG background with people photoshopped in. The look and feel of everything is just spot on. And the game aspects of the land feel like the best iteration of interactive areas in a themed land to date, they are the best possible next step from the wand locations. They feel more naturally integrated too - wand effects were great but passive. These feel like they give much more payoff, which is so great!
I feel like there's so much more for me to explore than what I've seen already and that excites me immensely! This land has so much energy going on throughout that I imagine it will give some sensory overload, in the best possible way!
The only knock I might give it is space but honestly that also impresses me. They fit so much into such a small space. I do think they might want to widen some areas up for the Orlando version but I'm sure they recognize spacial needs and crowd projections better than I do.
I'm really excited to see what kind of merch gets added in the future. I've read about the cultural differences in Japan when it comes to souvenirs and merch in the parks, so I recognize that we probably aren't seeing the full assortment of things we may get available in US iterations. But man do I wanna get the Universal Cup when I complete my first run on MK! What a feeling that would be!
I'm going to put more detailed thoughts on Mario Kart in a spoiler tag, and some more general comments on the ride below that.
So I had chills watching it initially because the sheer amount of things happening at the start just blew my mind. I knew that AR was going to play a role - I did not realize that ultimately that would provide the UMPH the ride needs to manage the frantic pacing of a Mario Kart race while maintaining a speed thag allows for everything happening around us to be digested. In my mind, they created the best possible middle ground you could have for a fast paced ride experience while allowing us to really feel and experience the characters and environments Mario Kart has to offer. I am beyond excited to ride it and play it! With all those things said, and with respect for the technical marvel that it is - I am positive Universal and Nintendo anticipated backlash from their respective fan bases. I really feel like the vocal portion of fans in these demographics leans toward those who expected FAST. I also think Mario Kart as an IP is super well defined and this ride definitely modifies certain aspects of that definition, which further threw some people off. One of those being the l competition aspect. I have to admit that even I was thrown off initially by the final product, and I loved seeing what it was. Realistically I recognize the difficulty of implementing full on competitions between cars but it appears that there really isn't incentive to even attempt to aim at the opposite ride vehicle. A huge aspect of Mario Kart is the competition between friends and family members. Ultimately I know that one of my expectations upon initially hearing it was coming was the idea that I'd be able to "blue shell" my friends IRL. Clearly for the purposes of simplicity, the ride concept became about getting the baddies rather than each other - and ultimately it makes total sense. But I gotta say, the idea of causing my sisters kart opposite mine to spin out from a well timed shell throw is still a very fun one! As for the expectation of speed, I truly think they were aiming to create a family attraction that focused on gameplay rather than thrill, and utilized the frantic pace of events around you to create the sensation of a race, rather than actual speed. I think they knocked it out of the park by doing so.
Ultimately I believe Mario Kart looks like it will be an incredibly fun, highly engaging ride experience! I feel that I will have to ride it many times just to get the hang of the gameplay aspect, not to mention getting a good look at every aspect working in tandem to create the experience, particularly those gorgeous physical sets and show pieces. I know it's been discussed ad nauseum but I will say that the speed element I'm seeing lambasted everywhere online makes no sense to me. Watching the videos, based on what's happening around you, I could barely keep up. I will say I get the disappointment over the lack of a Mario animatronic in a kart or even just a Bowser figure for the boss battle, in part because their cartoony appearance makes them better candidates for it than the last IP. I do understand why it didn't happen but I recognize why it was something people had hoped for.
I'm super pumped to see this come to the states! I cannot wait to jump on board, once the world returns to a more normal state of course!
Nice, well thought out presentation of your thoughts of the Land. My perception of the available info, taking into consideration that POV's are not substitutes for a real experience of the land, is largely in line with your thoughts.
Good work. :thumbsup: :toast:

Reactions: Frogki