The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9) | Page 13 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The problem with Sindbad is that they developed the (admittedly spectacular) set before they had a script, which is bass-ackwards. I remember seeing drafts of the script in 1998, with each one stupider than the last, and being told not to worry so much about the dialogue because the stunts would be so cool...
In my guidebook, I say that Sidbad is best enjoyed by small children and those who don't understand English; if the whole thing was in Mandarin I think I'd like it more. IMHO if they just deleted every anachronistic pop-culture joke and replaced it with dead silence, it would be a much better show.

- - - Updated - - -

As for Poseidon, I personally preferred the original version but I think some people have rose-colored memories about how much "better" it really was (or wasn't). Search DISboards for Garry Goddard's detailed and impassioned (if occasionally unhinged) defense of why his revamp was an improvement.

I'm sure I'm not the first to throw this out there, but what about a Percy Jackson overlay to the Lost Continent??? Doesn't seem like too much of a stretch and the books are actually really enjoyable, I thought. It could help add to the family friendly vibe UOR is pushing toward.

I'm sure I'm not the first to throw this out there, but what about a Percy Jackson overlay to the Lost Continent??? Doesn't seem like too much of a stretch and the books are actually really enjoyable, I thought. It could help add to the family friendly vibe UOR is pushing toward.

Was the most recent movie even a success?

It did not bomb. It just was mediocre. 55 million and still on the top ten in Theatres. Did not do great but did not completely bomb.

Nah, given its budget and wide release, along with the expectation that it's a franchise sequel, that's a pretty clear bomb.

With the first film only making 80 million, I would not say that it is a clear "bomb".

And it barely earned enough to justify the sequel, which came years later and got a dumping ground release date. Sorry if you're a fan of the franchise, any box office expert will tell you it bombed.

EDIT: Just checked. Its production budget was 90 million, before any marketing costs, which are high for a franchise release. It's made 139 million worldwide, 57 million domestic. A film typically needs to make around triple its reported production budget to get into the black (since theater owners receive roughly 50% of the final gross). It bombed.

Last edited:
And it barely earned enough to justify the sequel, which came years later and got a dumping ground release date. Sorry if you're a fan of the franchise, any box office expert will tell you it bombed.

I never said I was a fan of the franchise. Are you a box office expert? I was just stating the information that I have and the reasonable conclusions from the numbers.

The term box office bomb or flop generally refers to a film that is viewed as highly unsuccessful or unprofitable during its theatrical run, sometimes preceding hype regarding its production, cost or marketing efforts.[1][2] To earn this distinction, the film must also fail to earn more than the reported cost of its production, distribution and marketing by a wide margin.[3]
Gauging the financial success of a film is difficult, and because there is no definitive definition, what makes a box-office bomb can be very subjective. Not all films that fail to earn back their estimated costs during their theatrical runs are bombs,[2] and the label is generally applied to films that miss earnings projections by a wide margin, particularly when they are very expensive to produce, and sometimes in conjunction with middling or poor reviews (though critical reception has an imperfect connection to box office performance).[4]

The margins are not big enough for it to be a bomb. Mediocre yes, bomb no. Especially since it is still in theaters and still making money.

Last edited:
Percy Jackson is by no means big enough to be at IOA. It is a decent franchise but as others have noted it is just not popular enough to warrant a change from the original theme.

I never said I was a fan of the franchise. Are you a box office expert? I was just stating the information that I have and the reasonable conclusions from the numbers.

The term box office bomb or flop generally refers to a film that is viewed as highly unsuccessful or unprofitable during its theatrical run, sometimes preceding hype regarding its production, cost or marketing efforts.[1][2] To earn this distinction, the film must also fail to earn more than the reported cost of its production, distribution and marketing by a wide margin.[3]
Gauging the financial success of a film is difficult, and because there is no definitive definition, what makes a box-office bomb can be very subjective. Not all films that fail to earn back their estimated costs during their theatrical runs are bombs,[2] and the label is generally applied to films that miss earnings projections by a wide margin, particularly when they are very expensive to produce, and sometimes in conjunction with middling or poor reviews (though critical reception has an imperfect connection to box office performance).[4]

The margins are not big enough for it to be a bomb. Mediocre yes, bomb no. Especially since it is still in theaters and still making money.

You're right on a lot of points, and I will add that depending on the film/performance, home video sales can be a huge factor in making a profit. And the film certainly did not fail miserably. But, it is true that a film generally has to earn back about three times its budget (which includes promotional materials as well) to be considered profitable. It all depends on your definition of 'bomb' really.

Point being, most attractions that have presence in theme parks are blockbusters which do end up making a profit. Bomb or not, Percy Jackson probably won't be a huge success. Given its marketing plan and release date it probably was never destined to be. But The Mummy, Men in Black, Transformers, The Simpsons Movie, Jurassic Park, etc. all have been very, very successful at the box office (without debate). The only exceptions are some of the Marvel properties (The Incredible Hulk and its predecessor weren't smashing successes) and Seuss (remember that godawful Cat in the Hat film?)--but those rides were based less off the movies and more off the literary source material.

I also wouldn't say Percy Jackson was a 'bomb' (though I'm not sure I would consider it successful either), but one thing is for sure, it would be one of the weaker IP's on property at the moment.

Has anyone talked about Godzilla cause it has a new film and if it does good i can see Poseidon fury becoming "Godzilla's Terror" :thumbs:
220px-Godzilla2014Poster.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

220px-Pacific_Rim_FilmPoster.jpeg

why not? a great idea

What is al that talk about Peter Jackson?

Just kidding. The Perry movie was a crap fest and lets all hope it will never be a theme park ip for a park we like.

I hope they keep the place as it is. Un update for (what I think) is the best stunt show in the park would be nice and an actual ride into the walkthrough attraction would be lovely but I love the area and the scenery and it's on the top of my list of theme park environments.

@Thatguyoverwhere Not sure about that, it depends what they would put in next. I was sad to see Jaws leaving but I think what is getting in is an improvement. But when you look at Kong, it's a nice ride that I can't do anymore because of the coaster element but the Kong ride we could do with the whole family.