The Mandalorian | Page 16 | Inside Universal Forums

The Mandalorian

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I honestly don't think they're gonna tackle Thrawn at all in mando, even though he was mentioned. Bringing him in would kinda require bringing Ezra in and Sabine and probably most of the remaining Rebels cast, which would just turn the entire show into a Rebels sequel series lite. I feel like if anything it's just setting up a Rebels sequel series in the next couple of years. Not to mention Thrawn is a big enough villain that he would overshadow Moff Gideon the second he shows up, so I have a feeling they'd have to kill off Gideon entirely if they ever wanted to bring Thrawn in at all, which doesn't seem to really be in the cards, at least for a long while.
Thrawn could be the true big bad over Moff Gideon heading into season 3 easily. I think that the likely scenario is that Moff is a puppet to Thrawn and after we get a tease of Thrawn in this series (possibly just the mention of him), they spin-off to his own live action show.

I’m all for them to explore Luke a bit more though if they cast Sebastian Stan as Luke from this time period.

Reactions: youhow2
I'm thinking season 3 is when the wider implications of the events thus far begin to play out... Either that or they spin off. I'm not convinced that continuing the show in it's current format will have legs beyond 3 seasons. It'd be terrible to see The Mandalorian become the "Lets sell spin offs here/sales funnel" for Star Wars on Disney Plus.

I'd prefer a world where we focus in on Din and his journey and his story fitting neatly within everything going on, without too many more live action stories to keep track of.

They've done Jedi/Rebellion vs Empire before, Din and the Mandalorian presents the opportunity to focus in on what I'll consider a neutral force participating in the wider galactic conflict.

I'm thinking season 3 is when the wider implications of the events thus far begin to play out... Either that or they spin off. I'm not convinced that continuing the show in it's current format will have legs beyond 3 seasons. It'd be terrible to see The Mandalorian become the "Lets sell spin offs here/sales funnel" for Star Wars on Disney Plus.

I'd prefer a world where we focus in on Din and his journey and his story fitting neatly within everything going on, without too many more live action stories to keep track of.

They've done Jedi/Rebellion vs Empire before, Din and the Mandalorian presents the opportunity to focus in on what I'll consider a neutral force participating in the wider galactic conflict.
I agree, I would prefer this series stay focused on Din. I’ll happily take the spin-offs that are obvious as of now, but I totally agree, they need to remember this is Din’s show. If it just turns into a cameo show to set up spin-off after spin-off, then it’s time to end it and just go focus on those other stories.

Reactions: youhow2
I'd argue Chapter 11 was the better *episode*, but the impact of just simple things from this is going to ripple.

So, The Thrawn bubble got popped. He is around, somewhere. And I'm willing to bet that he will be physically on camera, at the end of the season.

That said, to go into the episode..one of my favorite things is the set design and architecture of Corvus. It feels like something that could be harkened back to when the Mongolians invaded Japan in the 1200's. The juxtoposition of the dreary, desolate encampment, to a clean and gorgeous inner section, with some amazing foliage work makes me commend who designed that room.

As far as Ahsoka, I love how straight to the point they tackled it. She's Ahsoka, she's here. And she's still on her path for Thrawn (which begs the question for Sabine to me). I'm extremely interested to see her come back, especially if we get to see her more often after Season 2 with Rosario. Speaking of her, I liked how Rosario tackled the translation of Ashley's VA work towards a live action process. It didn't feel unnatural to me in the grand scheme.

Thrawn could be the true big bad over Moff Gideon heading into season 3 easily. I think that the likely scenario is that Moff is a puppet to Thrawn and after we get a tease of Thrawn in this series (possibly just the mention of him), they spin-off to his own live action show.

I’m all for them to explore Luke a bit more though if they cast Sebastian Stan as Luke from this time period.

Yeah--I'd be really fine seeing Luke as the Jedi who finds Grogu. It'd be actually kind of nice to see a mature, pre-Ben Luke Skywalker that can help teach Grogu. Perhaps, it'd set the stage for why he'd consider Ben.

That said...I kind of hope it's Cal or Ezra. It'd be a fun surprise, especially on the former of the two.

Reactions: Nick and belloq87
If nothing else, I appreciate that this episode tells me I don’t need to expect anything more from Star Wars but disposable call backs and Memberberries for the foreseeable future. No new ground,

If nothing else, I appreciate that this episode tells me I don’t need to expect anything more from Star Wars but disposable call backs and Memberberries for the foreseeable future. No new ground,
None Spoilers.....they are going to a planet to put a Jedi on a stone and see if other Jedi come from him

Where has this been done? Mando, gideon, and other characters are new. But even way back in the day the Thrawn books connected to the Clone Wars before they were even films. It's not a bad thing for people and things to connect.

Now on for my take on the episode
(spoilers not working...so i guess not take..lol)

Last edited:
Reactions: belloq87
It is when that’s all Star Wars ever does
But it starts somewhere...Clone Wars while having Obi Won and Anikin...then introduces Ashoka, Rex, Cad Bad, and redefines Maul (as who I think is easily the best villain in star wars now), then Rebels gives us a new group of people while also growing the story's for other characters...now Mando is doing the same it had use introduced to a whole new cast of characters and now is having people from the books and tv shows added in.

Your acting as if they are reusing Luke and Vader in everything when they clearly are not.

I was thinking about where they go from here.

The whole cloning thing, If the Empire gets ahold of a Jedi, would they be able to siphon the midiclorians from any of them, or is it just the child? There is still the tracker in the ship, so if mando goes to the planet to the sacred jedi site, will the empire be able to siphon midichlorians from the environment?

Is this what's going to "pop the bubble" so to speak? Unravel a larger adventure and journey for Din moving forward?

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
But it starts somewhere...Clone Wars while having Obi Won and Anikin...then introduces Ashoka, Rex, Cad Bad, and redefines Maul (as who I think is easily the best villain in star wars now), then Rebels gives us a new group of people while also growing the story's for other characters...now Mando is doing the same it had use introduced to a whole new cast of characters and now is having people from the books and tv shows added in.

Your acting as if they are reusing Luke and Vader in everything when they clearly are not.
Agree to disagree. Instead of this franchise evolving it continually folds back in on itself, and that is incredibly boring from a storytelling perspective.

Agree to disagree. Instead of this franchise evolving it continually folds back in on itself, and that is incredibly boring from a storytelling perspective.
Yeah Star Wars may no longer for you, its always done call backs and I doubt they have a reason to stop. People are really enjoying this season of Mando, they loves the last season of clone wars they have ZERO reasons to not connect to other characters.

There's so much to pull from that fans have cherished for years and want to see produced and become canonized in live action adaptations.

This is the first time it's happened. They can afford to go back and rehash some things before treading new ground. People have be craving live action versions of "Book Characters" and the stories in those books and video games etc. since the early 90's.

The problem, and I think your criticism is fair just to be clear, is that the franchise has taken it's time while licensing the same stories over and over again to be told through various mediums, except live action which was the origin point for the universe.

Now, it appears they want to etch some of these things that have been happening in stone. It's a "Reverse MCU Strategy" if you will.

And that is why for the franchise this series is brilliant. They just have to make the world they've built real.

I saw a guy on twitter raving that the simplicity of showing a mon calamari eating soup was all he craved for years, the world building taking place by leaning in on all the things done in different mediums. They are doing right by the universe.

Yeah Star Wars may no longer for you, its always done call backs and I doubt they have a reason to stop. People are really enjoying this season of Mando, they loves the last season of clone wars they have ZERO reasons to not connect to other characters.
callbacks are different than tying every story together at the hip.

the more insular they become the more they turn off casual fans the first season may have attracted. My wife has only ever seen the films and enjoyed the first season. But I feel her checking out every time some callback to a cartoon show she’ll never watch (and I’d never even recommend her watch) happens on the show.

Reactions: SeventyOne
callbacks are different than tying every story together at the hip.

the more insular they become the more they turn off casual fans the first season may have attracted. My wife has only ever seen the films and enjoyed the first season. But I feel her checking out every time some callback to a cartoon show she’ll never watch (and I’d never even recommend her watch) happens on the show.
It works for the MCU, no one knew who Thanos was when he was introduced. If people don't like these characters that's on them both characters from clone wars this season added information to the universe. And timothy olyphant character is from a book and my dad loved that character. So I think in the end it will work out fine for 90% of people watching

Also, a lot of these characters we're talking about in here are (or would be, if they appear) -- effectively -- new characters for viewers who haven't seen CLONE WARS or REBELS.
That would work if it didn’t mean exposition dumps in the future to explain it all. It’s just tiring that instead of breaking new ground we have to have everything revolve around the stuff that’s already happened

Reactions: SeventyOne
I'd argue Chapter 11 was the better *episode*, but the impact of just simple things from this is going to ripple.

So, The Thrawn bubble got popped. He is around, somewhere. And I'm willing to bet that he will be physically on camera, at the end of the season.

That said, to go into the episode..one of my favorite things is the set design and architecture of Corvus. It feels like something that could be harkened back to when the Mongolians invaded Japan in the 1200's. The juxtoposition of the dreary, desolate encampment, to a clean and gorgeous inner section, with some amazing foliage work makes me commend who designed that room.

As far as Ahsoka, I love how straight to the point they tackled it. She's Ahsoka, she's here. And she's still on her path for Thrawn (which begs the question for Sabine to me). I'm extremely interested to see her come back, especially if we get to see her more often after Season 2 with Rosario. Speaking of her, I liked how Rosario tackled the translation of Ashley's VA work towards a live action process. It didn't feel unnatural to me in the grand scheme.

Yeah--I'd be really fine seeing Luke as the Jedi who finds Grogu. It'd be actually kind of nice to see a mature, pre-Ben Luke Skywalker that can help teach Grogu. Perhaps, it'd set the stage for why he'd consider Ben.

That said...I kind of hope it's Cal or Ezra. It'd be a fun surprise, especially on the former of the two.
Hasn’t Ezra potentially gone to the dark side based on what we know? He would be the most interesting to come for Grogu. I think we could see Ezra actually help to bring out Grogu’s dark tendencies, via orders from Thrawn.

@Nick Ashoka survived!
Yeah, well this was a minor battle for her. She’s almost definitely getting a spin-off, so, she won’t die in The Mandalorian.

Reactions: Nico