Universal Studios Park Entrance Reimagining | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Studios Park Entrance Reimagining

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
When I started this thread I was a little surprised at the almost pessimistic response to the idea, I'm glad you guys are finally catching on and seeing my point. Would love to see some artwork and I love the idea of a dark ride based on the classics, with all the reimagining of this park going on lately, I'd be surprised if they didn't have something like that in mind.

Reactions: Felipe
When I started this thread I was a little surprised at the almost pessimistic response to the idea, I'm glad you guys are finally catching on and seeing my point. Would love to see some artwork and I love the idea of a dark ride based on the classics, with all the reimagining of this park going on lately, I'd be surprised if they didn't have something like that in mind.
I always thought the idea of an omnimover through Universal history was just what the park needed at the front...
I almost envision a theater facade that you travel under ala Disney Sea

Looks light there is lighting to shine up, so I would think window or design more then LED screen. But could be.

Oh god -- there are COLOR CHANGING LED's on the Universal Tower at night. Why do designers insist on doing this on everything built nowadays? It's so tacky. Just because LEDs *can* change color doesn't mean they should.

Latest Images...

29b2b60.png

295corq.png

2u53mh4.png

I might be the only one, but i love the look of the sound stages, it makes it feel like a real studio and not a theme park. Also i remember people saying they should bulldoze the shrek building to make DM stuff, if they did that do you think it would look stupid just having one soundstage and some little flat rides across the street?

They could always find some way to re-theme the DM building so it doesn't look like a soundstage.

I don't think it's necessary to start retheming the soundstages to make them look like something else. The soundstages are the creative conceit that the entire park was based upon: you are entering a movie soundstage where you ride the movies.

So here's my realistic plan to fix the entrance area:

rm6vzl.png

Imagine this: You pass under the iconic archway. There's no doubt in your mind, you have arrived at Universal Studios. After entering through the turnstiles, you've arrived upon a large, beautiful, open courtyard. The "ON LOCATION" film shop (irrelevant!) and Beverly Hills Boulangerie are no longer there. Instead, this large, plaza courtyard stretches from Guest Services all the way over to Lucy. You feel like you are on a movie studio. It's lush, with trees, tons of seating, fountains, bright pink California bougainvillea draping down from trellises, etc.. Guest Services TMs are milling about, giving you directions, helping to plan your day. Here's where you can get a map, plan the day, set up a meeting point, buy Universal Express, and more. Lost and Found, the Restrooms, and Guest Services are all within plain view. The existing theming in the area (Producer's Building, Editing, Sound Mixing, etc. all stays). You're on a fancy studio lot! All this blends seamlessly with the existing buildings (VIP, Group Sales, Turnstile Coverage, etc.) We keep a pathway through the courtyard for parades.

5189155436_0ec8615764_z.jpg

Some signage is added for placemaking: LUCY becomes the "STUDIO ARCHIVES" (which happens to contain Lucy stuff). The Betty Boop store becomes "STUDIO WARDROBE" (which happens to have Betty Boop stuff). The STUDIO STORE remains unchanged.

Up ahead, on the road to Despicable Me, you see a small metal archway stretching over the street. It says "PRODUCTION STAGES". (I hate to use a Disney reference, but think "Pixar Place"). You pass under the archway. Gone is the peaceful calm of the courtyard -- now you're in the hustle and bustle of production! Red rotating lights spinning on the soundstages (remember these, folks?) signal that stuff is being shot. Tons of placemaking here: Production props everywhere -- lighting, trucks, scrims, circus animals, etc. Existing Shrek decor are stripped down. Huge signs list out the various movies shooting in the soundstages. Of course, nothing is actually shooting in the sound stages -- but we are going for it, folks: we are owning the "working studio" theme and it will be so over-the-top, that people will play along. False doors are added to soundstages: "PROPS", "MAKE-UP", etc. Lot of opportunities for gags here, but this isn't a fantasized Disney interpretation -- this all feels very real.

Shrek and DM Team Members are all now "Production Assistants". DM happens to be in production in one stage, and Shrek in the other. If you want to be part of the production, go on into the soundstage!

~~~~~~~

I think we saw some of the "Creep effect" in the Production Central area where little by little, they tried to get away from the backlot concept (Shrek posters, Nickelodeon logos splattered on the buildings.. and even to the point where we are building facades, a la Despicable Me). It's turned into a mishmash mess. In this plan, we are going back to basics and amping up the theme with a little placemaking. On the other end of the courtyard, perhaps there's another archway to enter HOLLYWOOD SETS.

So, that's my proposal. Is it inexpensive? No. Is it necessary? Not really. Is it fun to think about? Yeah.

P.S.: In the spirit of creativity, if you have any comments on this plan, please offer constructive solutions, alternatives, or present your plan :)

Last edited:
^I like that idea a lot. It really wouldnt be terribly expensive, and the project istelf wouldnt be humongous. Overall I would really like for something like that to happen. Its simple but effective.

I don't think it's necessary to start retheming the soundstages to make them look like something else. The soundstages are the creative conceit that the entire park was based upon: you are entering a movie soundstage where you ride the movies.

So here's my realistic plan to fix the entrance area:

Imagine this: You pass under the iconic archway. There's no doubt in your mind, you have arrived at Universal Studios. After entering through the turnstiles, you've arrived upon a large, beautiful, open courtyard. The "ON LOCATION" film shop (irrelevant!) and Beverly Hills Boulangerie are no longer there. Instead, this large, plaza courtyard stretches from Guest Services all the way over to Lucy. You feel like you are on a movie studio. It's lush, with trees, tons of seating, fountains, bright pink California bougainvillea draping down from trellises, etc.. Guest Services TMs are milling about, giving you directions, helping to plan your day. Here's where you can get a map, plan the day, set up a meeting point, buy Universal Express, and more. Lost and Found, the Restrooms, and Guest Services are all within plain view. The existing theming in the area (Producer's Building, Editing, Sound Mixing, etc. all stays). You're on a fancy studio lot! All this blends seamlessly with the existing buildings (VIP, Group Sales, Turnstile Coverage, etc.) We keep a pathway through the courtyard for parades.

Some signage is added for placemaking: LUCY becomes the "STUDIO ARCHIVES" (which happens to contain Lucy stuff). The Betty Boop store becomes "STUDIO WARDROBE" (which happens to have Betty Boop stuff). The STUDIO STORE remains unchanged.

Up ahead, on the road to Despicable Me, you see a small metal archway stretching over the street. It says "PRODUCTION STAGES". (I hate to use a Disney reference, but think "Pixar Place"). You pass under the archway. Gone is the peaceful calm of the courtyard -- now you're in the hustle and bustle of production! Red rotating lights spinning on the soundstages (remember these, folks?) signal that stuff is being shot. Tons of placemaking here: Production props everywhere -- lighting, trucks, scrims, circus animals, etc. Existing Shrek decor are stripped down. Huge signs list out the various movies shooting in the soundstages. Of course, nothing is actually shooting in the sound stages -- but we are going for it, folks: we are owning the "working studio" theme and it will be so over-the-top, that people will play along. False doors are added to soundstages: "PROPS", "MAKE-UP", etc. Lot of opportunities for gags here, but this isn't a fantasized Disney interpretation -- this all feels very real.

Shrek and DM Team Members are all now "Production Assistants". DM happens to be in production in one stage, and Shrek in the other. If you want to be part of the production, go on into the soundstage!

~~~~~~~

I think we saw some of the "Creep effect" in the Production Central area where little by little, they tried to get away from the backlot concept (Shrek posters, Nickelodeon logos splattered on the buildings.. and even to the point where we are building facades, a la Despicable Me). It's turned into a mishmash mess. In this plan, we are going back to basics and amping up the theme with a little placemaking. On the other end of the courtyard, perhaps there's another archway to enter HOLLYWOOD SETS.

So, that's my proposal. Is it inexpensive? No. Is it necessary? Not really. Is it fun to think about? Yeah.

P.S.: In the spirit of creativity, if you have any comments on this plan, please offer constructive solutions, alternatives, or present your plan :)

Great ideas here. Inspired me to make a sketch of my own, although mine's a little less realistic.

tumblr_mspuxdlWCH1qllfhho1_1280.jpg

The turnstiles would be moved closer to the arches to open up space for the courtyard. Various stores and buildings moved to the side under a unified movie studio theme that matches the style of the arches (dark beige on map). The universal globe would be moved to the center of the plaza, in line with the center arch, with palm trees fanning out on both sides. Lucy and Shrek both replaced with attraction about the history of Universal, carried out similar to Disaster/Hitchcock. The Universal Tower, the facade for the attraction, would be a larger scale version of the one put in at Hollywood and would serve as the new park icon. I think it would serve as a good mirror to the IOA lighthouse. The parts in blue would be themed closer to Hollywood's style.

Just a quick sketch of what I'd like to see. But probably definitely won't happen haha.

It is sad to see the "studios" being downplayed at the studios (USF). It would be great if they would revitalize that feeling when you first enter the park.

Personally, I'm fine with moving away from the "fake filming" aspects. It always came off as cheap and hokey. Put me in the story, not a weird halfway story where I'm really on a movie set.

I like thekidsquartet's idea of replacing Shrek and Lucy with one attraction. You could theme the side of the building facing DM like Gru's neighborhood, and then theme DM's building the same way. It would make it feel so much more like you're entering that world, which would improve the attraction a lot.

Personally, I'm fine with moving away from the "fake filming" aspects. It always came off as cheap and hokey. Put me in the story, not a weird halfway story where I'm really on a movie set.
See Mummy for an example of how this idea is convoluted..

I wouldn't mind seeing Production Central's buildings get re-done as well..some vintage theater looks would go a long way

It's too late now, but I would have redone the two front buildings (Store and On Location) and added a faux second floor to give them more height and maybe a faux 1920's esque bridge between them so you can't see too far into the park which is something that has always bothered me at the Studios...I would have also updated the Soundstages to look more modern or stuck with the 1920's Hollywood look..And of course redo he Monster's Cafe to fit Transformers..

And if I really had my way.. Shrek and Lucy would be turned into Universal's version of great movie ride

Resuming this conversation over here since it's really pertinent to this thread.

I REALLY like this idea! That way you could still keep Lucy in there, but you could then add so much more... I would love that... and it'd fit so well here, plus it'd also get rid of Shrek that so many people seem to dislike, but it'd still be a family friendly attraction, so those who went on Shrek can go on here, and win-win.

...those flat building murals in the back have got to go.. I don't see them surviving the next tropical storm. Come on! Easy fix, Uni.