Universal's Epic Universe Construction Thread | Page 30 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe Construction Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I continue to be perplexed by the excavation in the HTTYD area.

The only thing I can come up with is that it seems to somewhat match the shape of the edges of the lake/pond that was there before Universal bought the property but I don't understand why they would suddenly be digging big trenches along the shoreline of a pond they filled in 3 years ago.

I continue to be perplexed by the excavation in the HTTYD area.

The only thing I can come up with is that it seems to somewhat match the shape of the edges of the lake/pond that was there before Universal bought the property but I don't understand why they would suddenly be digging big trenches along the shoreline of a pond they filled in 3 years ago.
It’s a giant berm that filled with rain water. Carved around where the coaster for dragons will go.

It’s a giant berm that filled with rain water. Carved around where the coaster for dragons will go.

A bunch of thoughts:

1. There is a clear trench/pit to the west of the "berm", which is below the surrounding grade as suggested by the dewatering pipes set up.
2. It looks like they are starting a second trench to the west of the first one.
3. Neither trench matches up with anything we would expect from the public HTTYD plans.
4. If they were just building a berm, why are they taking dirt from somewhere they need it rather than trucking it in or taking from somewhere they actually need to excavate?
5. It's not a permanent berm, just an oddly shaped pile of dirt.
6. That overlay isn't accurate, the plans need to be further north and east.

Hey @Alicia - are the Utilidoors happening? Heard the rumor a couple of years ago, but hadn’t seen any sort of confirmation.

1. The entire site was raised uniformly by 10-12ft, so if they're digging "below grade" then it's not exactly a big deal when they would have to dig down again for foundations.
2. See 1
3. What are you expecting to see at this very early stage from site work?
4. It is a berm, we know it's a berm because it's exactly where they planned to build one, and at the same right angle we were expecting. And as I already said the entire 500acres were raised to the same level, so why wouldn't they borrow a few feet from one place move to another if it means they're saving time moving dirt around. Especially when if they need more later they can take it from the excavations that will be lagoon
5. Not sure why you have decided it's not a permanent berm when as I said it's where it's planned to be.
6. If the plan was further north and east, which is doesn't need to be, then the track would on top of the berm, as I have previously said that does not reflect the plans. It would make no difference if it was six feet this way or six feet that way. The overlay indicates to those who don't know that that what they're currently digging, is absolutely nowhere near the lagoon for the coaster and boat ride.

A bunch of thoughts:

1. There is a clear trench/pit to the west of the "berm", which is below the surrounding grade as suggested by the dewatering pipes set up.
2. It looks like they are starting a second trench to the west of the first one.
3. Neither trench matches up with anything we would expect from the public HTTYD plans.
4. If they were just building a berm, why are they taking dirt from somewhere they need it rather than trucking it in or taking from somewhere they actually need to excavate?
5. It's not a permanent berm, just an oddly shaped pile of dirt.
6. That overlay isn't accurate, the plans need to be further north and east.

Reactions: Mad Dog
1. The entire site was raised uniformly by 10-12ft, so if they're digging "below grade" then it's not exactly a big deal when they would have to dig down again for foundations.
2. See 1
3. What are you expecting to see at this very early stage from site work?
4. It is a berm, we know it's a berm because it's exactly where they planned to build one, and at the same right angle we were expecting. And as I already said the entire 500acres were raised to the same level, so why wouldn't they borrow a few feet from one place move to another if it means they're saving time moving dirt around. Especially when if they need more later they can take it from the excavations that will be lagoon
5. Not sure why you have decided it's not a permanent berm when as I said it's where it's planned to be.
6. If the plan was further north and east, which is doesn't need to be, then the track would on top of the berm, as I have previously said that does not reflect the plans. It would make no difference if it was six feet this way or six feet that way. The overlay indicates to those who don't know that that what they're currently digging, is absolutely nowhere near the lagoon for the coaster and boat ride.
Do we have any public plans indicating that they plan to have a berm in that location?

While we obviously disagree about the future of the "berm", it seems we are in agreement that the current digging is somewhat mysterious in that it doesn't match the locations where we expect digging to happen given the known HTTYD plans.

That digging could very well be for underground drainage or utilities and could be backfilled. There's nothing there that would, by itself, suggest the pans we've seen have changed.

I’m too intrigued by the flattering of part of the expansion plot on the other side to really notice the trench berm.

It could just be for staging or whatever. But it’s graded so pretty I’m intrigued.
It’s intrigued it’s not taking up the whole expansion space......

I’m too intrigued by the flattering of part of the expansion plot on the other side to really notice the trench berm.

It could just be for staging or whatever. But it’s graded so pretty I’m intrigued.
My thought was a laydown yard and the person doing the grading was artistic but they might be coding the sections by location grouping of the materials.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
Do we have any public plans indicating that they plan to have a berm in that location?

While we obviously disagree about the future of the "berm", it seems we are in agreement that the current digging is somewhat mysterious in that it doesn't match the locations where we expect digging to happen given the known HTTYD plans.

All Im going to say further on it is, I was expecting a berm and I got one. I was expecting the coaster station to sit in a valley, and they so far that appears to be what is happening. The Expansion pad between Monsters and SNW is far more interesting as they have been incredibly specific about where they are laying a surface, analysis here:

All Im going to say further on it is, I was expecting a berm and I got one. I was expecting the coaster station to sit in a valley, and they so far that appears to be what is happening. The Expansion pad between Monsters and SNW is far more interesting as they have been incredibly specific about where they are laying a surface, analysis here:

You are reading way too much into that picture. The dozer is working the left and pushing wet gravel while the roller is working the right and putting it flat. Once the roller is done it all will be a finely graveled laydown yard ie: parking lot

Reactions: fryoj
You are reading way too much into that picture. The dozer is working the left and pushing wet gravel while the roller is working the right and putting it flat. Once the roller is done it all will be a finely graveled laydown yard ie: parking lot
I also think this looks like a laydown/staging area for Nintendo. They may have only prepped half of the plot because that's all the space they need, or because the other half will be staging for a different land or used as a large construction access into the hub.

It seems likely that the northwestern edge of the gravel area lines up with the northwestern edge of the retail/restroom/food building planned to be northeast of it next to the SNW entrance, so it's not a totally random line.

I also think this looks like a laydown/staging area for Nintendo. They may have only prepped half of the plot because that's all the space they need, or because the other half will be staging for a different land or used as a large construction access into the hub.

It seems likely that the northwestern edge of the gravel area lines up with the northwestern edge of the retail/restroom/food building planned to be northeast of it next to the SNW entrance, so it's not a totally random line.
Yea that’s what I have to keep telling myself.

Reactions: Happytycho