What do you shoot with? | Page 13 | Inside Universal Forums

What do you shoot with?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
My lap is well and truly :censored:. Won't stay on an hour before over heating and shutting it's self off , then it takes forever to boot up:'(. I need to get a new PC or Laptop to process the pics I have before I can even dream of any new camera equipment. I hate tech sometimes.

I don't know if to go desk top or lap top, want something powerful enough for editing all those photos in light room as well as a bit of photoshop.

I am considering these spes

3ghz
I5 or I7 processor
8GB Ram (would consider less and upgrade at a later date)
1TB HDD
Must have HDMI

Any advice or recommendations?

Last edited:
I get by fairly easily on 4GB of RAM with my 2011/2012 model MBP (bought it last January) using Nik, Lightroom, and Photoshop. Yeah, it isn't instantaneous with everything, but it can handle most intense processing methods within a minute or two for really heavy stuff like Photoshop merging, panos, 360s, etc. I love having a laptop because it gives me something to do on flights (hey, cleaning out my Lightroom library might be a good task on my 7 hour flight to Cali later this year!) that helps pass the time quickly, assuming I don't fall asleep first. I have thought about picking up an iMac/Mac Mini or building a fairly cheap desktop, but my MBP serves all my needs just fine for now.

I don't know if to go desk top or lap top, want something powerful enough for editing all those photos in light room as well as a bit of photoshop.

I am considering these spes

3ghz
I5 or I7 processor
8GB Ram (would consider less and upgrade at a later date)
1TB HDD
Must have HDMI

Any advice or recommendations?

Ive got a Dell laptop that wasn't too expensive I picked up 2 years ago. I don't remember what specs it is but it can handle gaming, along with Photoshop and Lightroom. Same with me, I like having the laptop when traveling and is great having to to unload the memory cards after a busy day shooting while away from home

Ive got a Dell laptop that wasn't too expensive I picked up 2 years ago. I don't remember what specs it is but it can handle gaming, along with Photoshop and Lightroom. Same with me, I like having the laptop when traveling and is great having to to unload the memory cards after a busy day shooting while away from home

Good points about travel
Thanks Mike and Mike

With everyone else providing updates it's time for you to move down the bench :lol: i know diapers are expensive but ino need to fire sale it :pound:

Last edited:
With everyone else providing updates it's time for you to move down the bench :lol: i know diapers are expensive but ino need to fire sale it :pound:

Well that was a short retirement even by Brett Favre standards :look: Anyways, no I love photography and am looking into a Canon T4i.

I almost ended up shooting with nothing after BGT yesterday. Had an automatic sink almost get my camera but luckily just got a little spray on my viewfinder and avoided a disaster

I'm starting to get really restless about upgrading my body to either the 57 or 65. Hockeyman, do you think they'll keep the 57 around for a few more months after the 58 hits in April? I'm thinking I might be able to pick up the 57 for $300 or less if they do on a stock reduction somewhere in a big box store. I really want the 65 and those extra pixels, though...

I'm starting to get really restless about upgrading my body to either the 57 or 65. Hockeyman, do you think they'll keep the 57 around for a few more months after the 58 hits in April? I'm thinking I might be able to pick up the 57 for $300 or less if they do on a stock reduction somewhere in a big box store. I really want the 65 and those extra pixels, though...

I think A57 sales have jumped on Amazon since the A58 is more of an upgrade from the A37 and a lot of people on Sony Alpha Rumors arent too happy about the new A58. I have no idea how much longer the A57 will be available can imagine it availability will be dwindling

I was worried about that, but was hoping most big retailers like Best Buy and such would look at the number only and think about fire-sales for the remaining A57 stock. Oh well, I'd prefer the A65 anyway if I'm going to be saving up for a new body.

Cameras:
Canon 5D MkII
Canon 7D (backup)

Lenses:
85 1.2L II
35 1.4L
100 2.8L IS macro
24-105L
17-40L
70-200 4L IS
60 2.8 macro
17-55 2.8 IS
580EX II flash and some AB800s

Probably sell the 60, 17-55 and 24-105 in the coming months to fund a 5D3 since the AF on the 5D2 is archaic.

When I don't feel like lugging everything around I use a little Canon S100 p&s or my cellphone (HTC One S) :lol: