Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014) | Page 653 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Poll Closed

• Yes

Votes: 154 88.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 12.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, this is kind of breaking redesign news. Many of you here have likely seen the backstage photos of the HE train cabins with the big bump sticking out of one side to accommodate some kind of 3D wizardry. I estimate the depth of those odd bumps to be 4-5 feet beyond the train cabins normal dimensions.

Weeeeeell... looking back at some nefarious digital photos of "things", none of the loading platform buildings, most importantly Kings Cross, was originally designed for that huge bump we see now. The trains were all quite standard widths in said "things" and were set to be maybe 6-12 inches from the opposite wall in the station.

So, each of the stations had to have been reeeee-engineered to handle the additional width of the final solution to the trains biggest effect. I would imagine that the redesigns or modifications happened 4-8 months ago but it might have been longer.

Perhaps they made an eleventh hour change to the design because they realized there needed to be greater distance between the passengers and the projection/screens for the effect to be completely believable (or if they are using some sort of layered screen technology, maybe they decided to create greater spacing between the screen layers). Whatever the reason, redesigning the stations at the last minute sounds Herculean.

I put this in another Potter thread when someone questioned the Souths status in construction. Thought some may want to read it.

The south station has come a long ways in the past 90 days thanks to 24 shifts on construction. Now while the South station is still large, complex, and very well themed its definitely not as elaborate as the North Station in terms of theming and size. Earlier this year several factors led to the South Station being well behind schedule and what once nothing more than foundation work at the South while North was well into vertical construction, ride support installation, and facade test mock ups has turned into a large building.

Another thing to consider is the way the South station is being laid out and built. Maintenance's floor is 5ft below grade and the station floor we walk on is 18ft above grade. The tip of the highest roof is just under 60ft above grade. What most don't see is this stations foundation and set up is being built into the earth so to speak, most would never know the South Station is close to a seven story tall building so to speak. So while construction may not "appear" as far along as it should I assure its much further along then it appears. Last but not least theming will be easy compared to the North as this will be blanketed with stone, wood, iron, and dense vegetation. The North on the other hand....Whoa!

Reactions: Doug A.
Too funny, I was about to bark at you to tell some details... I knew you had them, but "seeing" them can be gray/invisible to most people. I could/can turn a crumb into a birthday cake. So thank you for yappin something. It is much appreciated.

Too funny, I was about to bark at you to tell some details... I knew you had them, but "seeing" them can be gray/invisible to most people. I could/can turn a crumb into a birthday cake. So thank you for yappin something. It is much appreciated.

:wave:

14sm4y.jpg

I'm so eager for this land to open, that I made a concept painting of what I think the completed London area will look like at sunset, when all the streetlamps have clicked on. (For reference, I used the official concept art, construction photos posted here, and Gambit's awesome Photoshop pic he posted a while back)

WizardingWorldjRGBenlarged_zps6de18abc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I'm so eager for this land to open, that I made a concept painting of what I think the completed London area will look like at sunset, when all the streetlamps have clicked on. (For reference, I used the official concept art, construction photos posted here, and Gambit's awesome Photoshop pic he posted a while back)

[/QUOTE]

Wow nice work.

Status
Not open for further replies.