Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2 | Page 229 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't they have put in these street lamps... I don't know... Like a YEAR ago?!?

If it's any consolation I'll always associate them with Teebin.

HE has low capacity, but we all knew this going in. Gringotts was designed to have 2200-2400 people per hour. Even if them miss that number initially by a few hundred, the capacity will still be fine...

That's great! It's really HE I worry about, which has a smaller capacity and then further almost halves it. Do NOT depend on HE as reliable transport, ever!

Londoners refer to it as Eros, but the sculptor actually intended to be Eros brother Anteros. Thus my diatribe last night. :wave:

Oops... I misread your question. I thought you were asking if it was supposed to represent Eros. I see now that you were wondering if the dude with the bow and arrow had been placed atop the fountain. My bad and I apologize!

And you might as well call him Eros as everyone else does!

Most Londoners would have no idea who either Eros or Anteros are, and just call it, 'the Fountain'.

It's deffo not a full size replica, but it's bloody good, as are the lamps. Not seen the original fountain since I did a Monopoly Pub Crawl around London!

Glad to see the distressing starting, it's going to feel strange being in a London setting in lovely weather !!

No. It was not in anyway a response to WWoHP. Did they take a few queues from it and improvise along he way (ex. specialty drink)? Sure. But in no way was this ever intended to be a response to Potter. It was simply meant to increase the capacity of the MK, which has been bursting at the seams in recent years.

Well, thats your opinion, and your welcome to it. I'll stick with mine tho. Cheers.

It's not an opinion. It's fact. WDW management is loopy, but even they knew this wasn't a response to Wizarding World. For many reasons.

This is true. The only part of the Fantasyland project that they changed was that they replaced the Tinkerbell M&G with the 7DMT ride to try to make sure the area appealed more to families and boys and even that was NOT because of HP, but because one of the Disney execs (Iger?) realized that the original plans were too girl-centric.
Avatarland is their answer to HP.

This is true. The only part of the Fantasyland project that they changed was that they replaced the Tinkerbell M&G with the 7DMT ride to try to make sure the area appealed more to families and boys and even that was NOT because of HP, but because one of the Disney execs (Iger?) realized that the original plans were too girl-centric.

Mine Train replaced the Cinderella/Aurora meet and greet complex. Pixie Hollow was originally slotted for the area that is Storybook Circus

I don't think that's the case either. You can't answer something with a land that opens 3 years after one area and 7 years after the other. By the time Avatar opens it will be considered a response to KidZone or something.

Disney stole some ideas from Universal, including the initial marketing and of course the signature drink (although I can't imagine it's nearly as popular as Butter beer). Other then that, I think that expansion was a long time coming. I'd argue that Avatar land, and if they ever get off their asses, Star wars Land will try to appeal more to the Universal crowd, all the while boosting attendance in their least popular theme parks, AK and DHS.

anyway..enough about WDW...

when are we gonna see the dragon!!?

Mine Train replaced the Cinderella/Aurora meet and greet complex. Pixie Hollow was originally slotted for the area that is Storybook Circus

I don't think that's the case either. You can't answer something with a land that opens 3 years after one area and 7 years after the other. By the time Avatar opens it will be considered a response to KidZone or something.

Oh, yeah, it was that M&G. Oops, I mixed them up.
By the time it opens it will be in answer to Kidzone (or whatever opens at Uni that year) but they pursued the project in answer to the success of HP and if funding and Cameron had come around faster, it would have been their response to HP. Sort of a grey area, I guess...

this was posted on twitter by Amusementbuzz. There appears to be a new black metal sign hanging thing(sorry I don't know the proper term) on the Screed and Sons building. Might this be for a Leaky Cauldron sign? I can imagine it fading in and out slowly like in the 1st movie.
BmolsAAIgAAqOd9.jpg

this was posted on twitter by Amusementbuzz. There appears to be a new black metal sign hanging thing(sorry I don't know the proper term) on the Screed and Sons building. Might this be for a Leaky Cauldron sign? I can imagine it fading in and out slowly like in the 1st movie.
BmolsAAIgAAqOd9.jpg

It does indeed appear to be a bracket for a Leaky Cauldron sign. If so, that would confirm that the door under the newly painted bricks is the Leaky Cauldron entrance door (for photo ops only), rather than the one on the far left, beside King's Cross.

I'm still holding out for a record shop sign just to the right, and to the left of the Leicester Square Station marquee.

If anyone knows of anyone at the parks today, would you please ask them to rap on the flat parts of the base (below pic) of the embankment lamps with their knuckles? It will either be medium pitch metal sound or it might be more of a wood-like sound. Rapping with the hard plastic end of your keys would be even better. Thanks!

rg0B2rB.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: natespf
I believe Tom Staggs was the Disney executive if my memory serves me correct.

If anyone knows of anyone at the parks today, would you please ask them to rap on the flat parts of the base (below pic) of the embankment lamps with their knuckles? It will either be medium pitch metal sound or it might be more of a wood-like sound. Rapping with the hard plastic end of your keys would be even better. Thanks!

I actually did when I took the picture...It didn't feel like cast iron - more like a heavy resin. It looks like to me that they may have taken a cast of an existing lamppost, due to the worn look and lack of detail in the beard, leaves, etc.
This made me decide to look through my London trip pics and look what I found:
2fU1sCg.jpg

Ya5pdGD.jpg

Reactions: natespf
Status
Not open for further replies.